Flex 3 - Export to Microsoft Excel?

  • sailorsea21
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi everyone, is it possible to export to Excel?

      If I have a chart or a datagrid, is it possible to export it to
      Microsoft Excel?

      Thanks.

      -David.
    • Felipe Albertao
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
        Flex does not do it by itself, but you do have a few options:

        1) Copy the datagrid to the clipboard, so the user can paste it into
        excel (it sounds interesting):
        http://cfsilence.com/blog/client/index.cfm/2007/1/24/Exporting-A-Flex-DataGrid-To-Excel

        2) Upload the datagrid data to a server, which in turn will convert
        the data to a certain format (either CSV or XLS). If you use Java,
        Seam Framework supports Flex integration and also provides the ability
        to generate an Excel file, but you will have to program the wiring (i.
        e.: Push the data-grid to the server, then process it, and finally
        output the exported file back to the user)
        http://seamframework.org/
        http://exadel.com/web/portal/flamingo
        http://docs.jboss.com/seam/latest/reference/en-US/html/excel.html

        Felipe

        --- In silvafug@yahoogroups.com, "sailorsea21" <sailorsea21@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone, is it possible to export to Excel?
        >
        > If I have a chart or a datagrid, is it possible to export it to
        > Microsoft Excel?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > -David.

      • Luke Bayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
          You could really easily serialize your data to a CSV (Comma Separated
          Values) text file and send that to the client using Flash Player 10
          file features....

          Excel should be able to display that document appropriately, and most
          Windows users should be able to double-click that downloaded file to
          open it in Excel.

          Good Luck,

          Luke Bayes