[silk] Re: Ubiquity Breeds Utility

  • Dave Long
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      > Startups trying to make money from bandwidth management should
      > remember that in the wired world, increased bandwidth is usually cheaper
      > than complex QoS for most applications.

      If I remember correctly, token ring was
      for getting the most bandwidth out of a
      congested medium, while ethernet was for
      getting the cheapest bandwidth out of a
      lightly loaded medium, and it turned out
      to be cheaper and easier to install more
      than enough ethernet than to install the
      right amount of token ring.

      -Dave

      :: :: ::

      A N Whitehead