[silk] CAT5 vs CAT5E vs CAT6 cable for home

  • Prashant P Kothari
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2017
      Folks

      We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer

      Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?

      Does anyone have first-hand experience with this

      Thanks
      Prashant
    • Dibyo
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2017
        On 7 Jun 2017 03:19, "Prashant P Kothari" <ppkothari@...> wrote:

        Folks

        We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer

        Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it makes
        sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?

        Does anyone have first-hand experience with this

        Thanks
        Prashant

        Dont have experience with house builders but cat6 is clearly superior. The
        easiest way to speed up your home internet if you have broadband is to make
        sure the cable from the wall to your modem/router is cat6.

        Question: while wires are stronger than WiFi, I'm assuming most of your
        home will be on WiFi?
      • Narayanan Hariharan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2017
          I went through a similar experience last year and was advised to use CAT6
          cables by a guy who runs the networks in a multinational company. They are
          just backup for me though, my entire residence is covered with the help of
          two really powerful wireless routers, one working as a range extender to
          the other.

          Agree with Dibyo; while wires are faster, WiFi is more efficient, and the
          speed is not all that bad.

          On 7 June 2017 at 00:48, Prashant P Kothari <ppkothari@...> wrote:

          > Folks
          >
          > We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer
          >
          > Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it makes
          > sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?
          >
          > Does anyone have first-hand experience with this
          >
          > Thanks
          > Prashant

        • Udhay Shankar N
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2017
            Note that wireless tends to flake out while streaming large media files
            within the internal network - as in streaming a movie from a NAS to a AV
            receiver.

            ((Udhay Shankar N)) ((via phone))
          • Biju Chacko
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2017
              Don't get Cat5, even home routers support gigabit now. With whatever active
              components you have now, you probably won't see much difference between
              Cat5e and Cat6. However, given that installing cable is a gigantic pain, if
              there isn't a big price difference go with Cat6. No doubt 10G home
              networking kit will be standard in a few years.

              -- b

              On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Udhay Shankar N <udhay@...> wrote:

              > Note that wireless tends to flake out while streaming large media files
              > within the internal network - as in streaming a movie from a NAS to a AV
              > receiver.
              > --
              >
              > --
              > ((Udhay Shankar N)) ((via phone))

            • gabin kattukaran
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2017
                On 7 June 2017 at 12:09, Biju Chacko <biju.chacko@...> wrote:
                > However, given that installing cable is a gigantic pain, if
                > there isn't a big price difference go with Cat6. No doubt 10G home
                > networking kit will be standard in a few years

                +1 to that. I recently got my new apartment wired up with Cat6. While
                there will be WiFi, the cabling is for streaming as Udhay says.

                -gabin

                --

                Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up.
              • Charles Haynes
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 7, 2017
                  I'm curious, what gigE devices do you have connected to your home network?

                  I use 5ghz WiFi for everything. Including streaming large media files. But
                  I am not streaming 4k video. Only 1080p.

                  -- Charles

                  On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 at 17:05 gabin kattukaran <gkattukaran@...> wrote:

                  > On 7 June 2017 at 12:09, Biju Chacko <biju.chacko@...> wrote:
                  > > However, given that installing cable is a gigantic pain, if
                  > > there isn't a big price difference go with Cat6. No doubt 10G home
                  > > networking kit will be standard in a few years
                  >

                  > +1 to that. I recently got my new apartment wired up with Cat6. While
                  > there will be WiFi, the cabling is for streaming as Udhay says.
                  >
                  > -gabin
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up.

                • Bharath Chari
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2017
                    On 2017-06-06 22:18, Prashant P Kothari wrote:
                    > Folks
                    >
                    > We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer
                    >
                    > Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it
                    > makes sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?
                    >
                    > Does anyone have first-hand experience with this
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Prashant

                    I'd go with Cat6. With the following caveats:

                    1) Remember that the speed will quick deteriorate towards 1 Gbps after
                    around 150 ft.
                    2) Keep proper separation between the electrical conduits and the
                    Network cables. Electricians in India are notorious for running them
                    both through the same conduits - interference is horrible, let alone the
                    hazards of AC voltage creeping into the network segment. I guess you'll
                    already have that separation at your place.

                    Bharath
                  • Prashant P Kothari
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2017
                      On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Dibyo <gdibyo@...> wrote:

                      > On 7 Jun 2017 03:19, "Prashant P Kothari" <ppkothari@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Folks
                      >
                      > We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer
                      >
                      > Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it makes
                      > sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?
                      >
                      > Does anyone have first-hand experience with this
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Prashant
                      >

                      > Dont have experience with house builders but cat6 is clearly superior. The
                      > easiest way to speed up your home internet if you have broadband is to make
                      > sure the cable from the wall to your modem/router is cat6.
                      >
                      > Question: while wires are stronger than WiFi, I'm assuming most of your
                      > home will be on WiFi?

                      -----------------------

                      Thanks for the recommendations, all.

                      Re wifi vs wires: actually I'm trying to see if I can set up wired as much
                      as possible.

                      TV-to-Verizon FIOS: via CAT6 cable
                      TV-to-Internet (Amazon/ Netflix): via Ethernet cables, if possible
                      Desktop-to-Internet: via Ethernet
                      Laptops-to-Internet: via Ethernet cable, at least in my home office

                      Reasons
                      1) Speed
                      2) A techie I met recently said it's safer to minimize the use of wifi at
                      home

                      Best
                      Prashant