Re: [silk] Any leads?

  • Udhay Shankar N
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2017
      On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...>
      wrote:

      > A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for
      > families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular
      > place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family
      > vacation, almost.
      >
      > Would anyone know of any such families? Any contacts or leads would be
      > much appreciated.

      ​My mom used to chivvy us to go to a temple in Karungulam (near
      Tirunelveli) which is supposedly the home of a family deity. My wife has
      now taken this upon herself. I rarely go.

      Udhay​

    • Samanth Subramanian
      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2017
        Hello:

        A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family vacation, almost.

        Would anyone know of any such families? Any contacts or leads would be much appreciated.

        Best
        Samanth
      • Suresh Ramasubramanian
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2017
          My wife likewise umm.. convinces me to take the family to Shirdi once a year or so. And there’s the usual family deity thing as well, to somewhere like 80 km from Udhay’s Karungulam. [Karunkulam on google maps, thanks to a similarly named town somewhere near Thanjavur being called Karungulam]

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
            There's also Uday's fine old story of stopping at a hotel to get a drink on on of those trips ..

            --srs

            > On 01-Jun-2017, at 1:00 PM, Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...> wrote:
            >
            > Interesting. How often does she go, Udhay? Does she go by herself, or is there an assortment of relatives that travels as well?
          • Samanth Subramanian
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
              Interesting. How often does she go, Udhay? Does she go by herself, or is there an assortment of relatives that travels as well?

              > On Jun 1, 2017, at 07:26, Udhay Shankar N <udhay@...> wrote:
              >
              > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              >> A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for
              >> families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular
              >> place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family
              >> vacation, almost.
              >>
              >> Would anyone know of any such families? Any contacts or leads would be
              >> much appreciated.
              >

              > ​My mom used to chivvy us to go to a temple in Karungulam (near
              > Tirunelveli) which is supposedly the home of a family deity. My wife has
              > now taken this upon herself. I rarely go.
              >
              > Udhay​
              >
              > --
              >
              > ((Udhay Shankar N)) ((udhay @ pobox.com)) ((www.digeratus.com))
            • Udhay Shankar N
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...>
                wrote:

                > Interesting. How often does she go, Udhay? Does she go by herself, or is
                > there an assortment of relatives that travels as well?

                ​Once a year typically. Usually with mom, although I am not sure if my mom
                is up to this going forward.​

                ​Udhay​

              • Venkat
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                  My mom goads me to go to Varagur (near Tanjavur) every year. She does go
                  religiously, but I find some reason or the other to not go. It's way to
                  hot for a Bangalorean to bear. :-)

                  Venkat

                  --

                  Cheers,
                  Venkat
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                    My family is pretty widely distributed across the globe, but most of them
                    make their way to Kozhumadai (a short drive from Thoothukudi), where the
                    family deity resides, whenever they visit India. Those living in India
                    usually make an annual visit. It's a trip I make once a decade or
                    thereabouts, but my mother goes every year. Our extended family is quite
                    large, and recently an uncle in Thoothukudi undertook a fundraising drive
                    to rebuild parts of the temple structure around the deity, which is a
                    Saastha, and has existed as a stone without shelter for decades.

                    On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello:
                    >
                    > A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for
                    > families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular
                    > place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family
                    > vacation, almost.
                    >
                    > Would anyone know of any such families? Any contacts or leads would be
                    > much appreciated.
                    >
                    > Best
                    > Samanth

                  • Suresh Ramasubramanian
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                      Sounds just like the one we have near kalakad in tirunelveli district

                      --srs

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                        Thanks, guys.

                        Sumant / Venkat / Udhay -- do you mind if I pass your email IDs on to this
                        person at the NYT? Her name is Jaime Lowe, and she may contact you to ask
                        more, and to possibly set up something like a shoot, if the details
                        intrigue her enough.

                        Best,
                        Samanth

                        --
                        ___________________________
                        A writer and his web-blahg
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 1, 2017
                          Sure.

                          On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:40 PM Samanth Subramanian <wordpsmith@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks, guys.
                          >
                          > Sumant / Venkat / Udhay -- do you mind if I pass your email IDs on to this
                          > person at the NYT? Her name is Jaime Lowe, and she may contact you to ask
                          > more, and to possibly set up something like a shoot, if the details
                          > intrigue her enough.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > Samanth
                          >
                          > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Sumant Srivathsan <sumants@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > My family is pretty widely distributed across the globe, but most of them
                          > > make their way to Kozhumadai (a short drive from Thoothukudi), where the
                          > > family deity resides, whenever they visit India. Those living in India
                          > > usually make an annual visit. It's a trip I make once a decade or
                          > > thereabouts, but my mother goes every year. Our extended family is quite
                          > > large, and recently an uncle in Thoothukudi undertook a fundraising drive
                          > > to rebuild parts of the temple structure around the deity, which is a
                          > > Saastha, and has existed as a stone without shelter for decades.
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Samanth Subramanian <
                          > wordpsmith@...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Hello:
                          > > >
                          > > > A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for
                          > > > families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular
                          > > > place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family
                          > > > vacation, almost.
                          > > >
                          > > > Would anyone know of any such families? Any contacts or leads would be
                          > > > much appreciated.
                          > > >
                          > > > Best
                          > > > Samanth
                          > > >

                          > --
                          > ___________________________
                          > A writer and his web-blahg
                          > http://samanth.blogspot.com

                        • Aadisht Khanna
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2017
                            wrote:

                            > Hello:
                            >
                            > A friend in the US is working on a photo feature, and she's looking for
                            > families in India (nuclear or joint) that go repeatedly to a particular
                            > place as an act of pilgrimage -- that consider this a kind of family
                            > vacation, almost.
                            >

                            > After seeing the other responses to this thread, which all seem to be
                            centred around 'family deities', would your friend be interested in
                            families that don't have one but do a regular pilgrimage anyway? My dad's
                            cousin goes to Vaishno Devi once a year, and his sister used to until the
                            physical exertion knocked her out.
                          • Aadisht Khanna
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 3, 2017
                              On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 2:16 PM, WordPsmith <wordpsmith@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, Aadisht. As it happens, my friend has a couple of people on her
                              > list who do make these bigger pilgrimages: Vaishno Devi, Badrinath and so
                              > on. But I may pass on your contact if she's drawing a blank with her folks,
                              > if that's okay with you?

                              Yes, sure.
                            • WordPsmith
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 3, 2017