[Fwd: Re: Burn-up Charts]

  • Phil Goodwin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Re: Burn-up Charts
      Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:43:05 -0800
      From: Phil Goodwin <phil.goodwin@...>
      To: Mary Poppendieck <mary@...>

      Mary Poppendieck wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > To me, the burn-up chart looks very much like Ron Jeffries acceptance
      test
      > chart (attached - hope it's not too big). Do you agree?

      It's similar, but not the same. He's measuring the progress of the
      feature writers against the test writers. We're measuring the progress
      of the feature writers against the project plan which we are (or, at
      least, I am) trying to adjust.

      > When I put my manager's hat on and try to explain a chart to a VP, I
      would
      > prefer to explain the burndown chart - precisely because it combines two
      > measurements into one line. I think it is easier to explain to
      someone who
      > doesn't care about anything except 'When will it be done?' It measures
      > 'What is left to do', no matter where it came from. And it quickly
      shows a
      > history of how 'What is left to do' has changed over time.

      You could just show that person a line progressing toward an "X". I
      don't see why a VP would want to see a plummeting line anymore than
      anyone else would.

      > I'm still pretty sure I would show the burn-down chart to the VP, and use
      > either the burn-up chart or acceptance test chart for developers.
      However,
      > since I want both to be singing off of the same sheet of music, I think I
      > would post both charts in the development room.

      I can see why you'd want to show a simpler chart to the VP. Although it
      sounds like what you reall want to deliver is a date -- any chart at al
      might be overkill. In fact, now that I think of it, you are as likely as
      not going to be showing the VP an entirely different kind of chart that
      shows the progress of several different projects at once. At least those
      are the kinds of charts the VPs are showing back to us when they are
      trying to give us a sense of what is going on (we have enlightened
      management here, it's kind of weird). There are lots of kinds of
      questions you might want to ask a chart like this. As a project lead the
      one that I'm constantly trying to answer is: "how much can I try to get
      done before the next release." So what I've done is to optimize this
      chart for my personal needs. I think that it can probably be modified to
      suit a variety of needs. I've made both a more complex and much simpler
      version of it and attached them. The red dots in the more complex one
      show a history of scope+date plans for the project. I forgot to add it
      to the legend.

      Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408.276.7090, or x17090

      For a bowl of water give a goodly meal;
      For a kindly greeting bow thou down with zeal;
      For a simple penny pay thou back with gold;
      If thy life be rescued, life do not withhold.
      Thus the words and actions of the wise regard;
      Every little service tenfold they reward.
      But the truly noble know all men as one,
      And return with gladness good for evil done.
      - Shamal Bhatt