Re: [sig] Easter Dishes

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2005
      If you really don't care if it's period the Ukrainians
      have a specific set of Easter recipes.
      The book, "Ukrainian Daughter's Cookbook. (Ukrainian
      Women's Association of Canada, Regina, Saskatchewan,
      1999)", actually goes through what to serve when and
      why.

      Some other recipes are here alsong with a write up of
      what was done in Canada during pioneer times
      http://www.brama.com/yonkersukrainianfest/easter.html

      None of these have documentable sources, and most of
      the recipes are not period in any fashion. You may be
      able to "best guess" if any of these recipes could
      have been period by reading the messages at
      http://www.florilegium.org/
      specifically the article
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Russia-msg.html

      Hope this helps.
      -Kataryna
      PS: getting red eggs blessed for easter is period (I'd
      suspect that these eggs were then eaten)
      PPS: I think I have info on a mordant for beet dye...
      I will try it and post it if it works. Yay!