lapti

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2005
      Can someone point me in the right direction to find a pattern for lapti?
      Thanks bunches! Ælfgifu
      --

      ____
      Jennifer Hill
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
        Greetings!

        > Can someone point me in the right direction to find a pattern for lapti?
        > Thanks bunches! фlfgifu

        I have a manual scanned from the magazine "Do it yourself" (in Russian). If you read Russian, then I can post it to you; it is a .gif of .jpg file.

        If not, then I'll try to have some explanations with the pics from the scanned article.

        BTW, lapti do not a one-for-all pattern. They were made of birch or lime bark, and the weaving was either straight or diagonal (depending on the region). The shoe could be slipper-like or shoe-like, with higher heel. The toe could be triangular or rectangular. I have the manual for Finnish (mordern St. Petersburg region) shoe-like birch bark lapti with triangular toe, and i have Siberian three-layer (lime-birch-lime) shoe-like lapti with rectangular toe at home, woven for my birthday about 7 years ago. Both are woven diagonally.
        Waiting for reply,

        Bye,
        Alex.
      • Jenn
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
          Hi, Alex. I do not read Russian. I'm interested in the lapti that a
          maiden in Kievan Rus would have worn.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html
          Thanks so much.

          The good gentle who gave me a gentlemen's email address, thank you.
          Unfortunately, the email isn't active.

          ____
          Jennifer Hill
          Hlæfdige Ælfgifu
          House Red Stag/Cynn Readheort
        • Stephanie Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
            This seller has lapti (birch bark basket-woven shoes) for sale that are made in Russia. Right now he only has ones that look like slippers, but he sells proper lapti with the leg lacings also. Mine look like ballet toe shoes, which I thought was hysterical when my brain made the connection. I glued a piece of leather to the bottoms of mine so that they wouldn't wear out so quickly. If you email him via "ask seller a question" he will have them made for you.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3983856483

            Nice pics of lapti here, but the price is very dear.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3906423482&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

            Just FYI,
            Nadya

            "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."
            - Jerrold Nadler

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              Greetings!

              > This seller has lapti (birch bark basket-woven shoes) for sale that are made in Russia. Right now he only has ones that look like slippers, but he sells proper lapti with the leg

              Ergm... They ALL are proper. The pattern depends on the region, that's all.
              If the group waits 4-5 days, I will finish scanning my lapti manual (those who asked me to send it - sorry, I had really busy time since early spring...) and will place the files at yahoogroups.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                By proper I meant the foot-enclosing lapti with the wrapping ties, not the
                slipper-type that was depicted in the auction. Did they wear the
                slipper-type too? "Proper" probably wasn't the best term. I'm not
                well-versed in lapti, so I will eagerly look forward to reading your manual!

                Nadya

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2005
                  Greetings!

                  > By proper I meant the foot-enclosing lapti with the wrapping ties, not the
                  They all had ones.

                  > slipper-type that was depicted in the auction. Did they wear the
                  > slipper-type too? "Proper" probably wasn't the best term. I'm not
                  Yep. With Obory (that's what the rope attached to the rear of the shoe is called) you have no difference between a shoe- and the slipper-like Lapti. All in all, they fit the foot like a glove, provided you don't forget to wrap the foot and the ankle into Onuchi (~20 cm wide, 2 m long) or Portyanki (40 cm wide, 70+ cm long, in use since 14 century).

                  > well-versed in lapti, so I will eagerly look forward to reading your manual!

                  Actually, the weaving part is not mine, it is the scan of the do-it-yourself article that 0 rarely for such stuff - dealt with not only pencil boxes and spectacles cases, but (also)with real backpacks for berry-collectors and Lapti of the North-western region. Mine are the comments :-)

                  Bye,
                  Alex.