czech language

  • daycl2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 10:20 PM
      I am a fan of the Portland Winterhawks Jr hockey team. One of our
      players is from the Czech Republic, and currently knows about 6
      words in English. I thought it would be cool to make a sign to
      cheer him on. Any suggestions for a "Czech cheer" and its
      translation? How about some short song or something they do to
      encourage their players from the stands?

      Thank you,
      Cathy
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4 6:23 AM
        A big, or better still a HUGE, banner saying "CESI DO TOHO!" (with a
        hook over the C and S) would almost certainly make his day.

        It translates best as "Come on you Czechs", and is the rallying cry
        for Czech ice hockey fans at all international matches.

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
        = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =
      • Cathy Day
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4 7:41 AM
          THANK YOU!!! That is exactly what I was after!

          A "hook" meaning like a �, or a ~, or a ? without the .

          _____

          A big, or better still a HUGE, banner saying "CESI DO TOHO!" (with a
          hook over the C and S) would almost certainly make his day.

          It translates best as "Come on you Czechs", and is the rallying cry
          for Czech ice hockey fans at all international matches.

          Alastair

          Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
          = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a1ikin/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1110033424/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

          :HM/A=2593423/rand=808912159>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 3:15 AM
            Thanks to the fact that 8-bit e-mail can only handle 7-bit characters,
            I'm not sure that the letters will reproduce properly, but...

            upper case: Č lower case: č
            upper case: Š lower case: š

            Descriptively, the 'hook' is a like a small letter v over the top of
            the letter (NOT upside down as in French!).

            Hope this helps

            Alastair