Re: All-Slavic Council Of Native Faith Believers

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 2, 2005
      krofnic writes

      > We do believe that [snip]

      Nevertheless, as has already been made clear, this is NOT the right
      place to talk about current religious practices.

      Two points in regard to this, and to counter the obvious arguments:

      1. I do not believe that the modern version of the Slavic pagan/native
      religion is the same as the medieval... in the same was as I do not
      believe that modern Catholicism is the same as medieval Catholicism.
      Entirely different beasts.

      2. Current religious practice is NOT the same as re-enactment of ancient
      religious practice, however similar the two may be (and I'm thinking
      here in particular of that Czech group, where joining requires adoption
      of an "ancient Slavic name" - sound familiar, anyone? - and the fact
      that some people/speakers in the photographs of the Ukrainian meeting
      were in "folk dress").

      > We are trying to give some higher profile to tihs
      > discussion, that's all! :)

      What you will achieve, however, is an argument.

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =