Re: Latvian textile patterns?

  • efeja_feja
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
      Latvian sashes and trim are woven in three different styles: Braid,
      Backstrap and Tablet weave.

      Weave for shawls were very simple twills ...the ornamentation and the
      colours of the shawl and trim vary from region to region.

      Embroidery is done over the finished cloth and usually only on shirts
      or jackets.

      A few of the websites with embroidery patterns and pantheon meanings
      have taken their information from Latvju Raksti (Latvian Design) and
      are frequently incorrect and scant in their assignment of meaning. It
      is however an excellent source for patterns for sashes and trim.
      Please note that the designs shown in this book for shawls are not
      embroidered...but beads woven into the fabric.

      Latviesu Jostas (Latvian Belts) deals only with belts and trim and is
      excellent for patterns.

      There used to be an excellent website about Latvian religion and the
      symbols associated with them buy it appears to be gone.

      What time period are you concentrating on for design?

      Efeja