Re: [sig]Native Faith

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2005
      The comments on the original, pre-christian faiths of
      the slavic countries re-emerging have been
      fascinating.
      I would agree that using the term "pagan" will have a
      lot of bad connotations there; I've been reading some
      Polish history, and it seems that (even while most of
      the country had converted to christianity) the
      Teutonic Knights had deliberately mislead western
      europe into believeing Poland was still "pagan", and
      used this as a pretext to wage war on them, as well as
      for a recruiting tactic. And of course, "pagan" is
      the christian term for "non-believer", or is at least
      in the contexts I've heard it.
      As regards "paganism" in places like the USA, one must
      recall that the culture here is a fragmented one, born
      of many traditions, and that makes it difficult to
      return to _any_ ethnic tradition in strength!
      Britain, too, is a melange of many cultures, and the
      language itself was formed as a hybrid of several of
      cultures. While they have somewhat more consistency
      of ethnic origin, much of the past history of it has
      gotten lost in the shuffle, so to speak.

      I'm glad to hear that Eastern Europe, after all it has
      been through, is still able to resurrect (heh!) some
      truly old traditions...

      Eluned

      =====

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

      for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail