Polish Letnik

  • Daria Hayman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2005
      I need help from the list. For some time I've been searching for information on a Polish Letnik. Now that we have access to the Turnau books (dziekuje Cezary) I read the SMALL section on this topic which is still vague.

      Because of the time, work and money that will go into this project I want to be as correct/authentic as possible. Does anyone have a picture of a Polish letnik and/or the embroidered chemise that is worn underneath? Is the embroidery like the Ukrainian embroidery or Western European embroidery? Would it include pearl embroidery?

      Magdalena Gdanska

      Beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur.
      Matthaeus 5:9

    • Magdalena Gdanska
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2005
        Greetings all. I'm researching 15th century Poland and came across a
        reference in Turnau's Central European costume book about a Polish
        letnik. She includes no illustrations and her description can be just
        about anything. It is different from the Russian letnik in that it is a
        gown with no opening that is pulled on over the head. It is slightly
        more form fitting (than the Russian) but the sleeves can be long, short
        or sleevless, the hem ankle length or knee and the neckline round or
        square.

        I was wondering if any of my Russian cousins have come across an
        illustatration (of a Polish letnik) in their research.

        Magdalena Gdanska
      • MoxFool@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2005
          In a message dated 11/14/2005 5:13:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          nunother56@... writes:

          Greetings all. I'm researching 15th century Poland and came across a
          reference in Turnau's Central European costume book about a Polish
          letnik. She includes no illustrations and her description can be just
          about anything. It is different from the Russian letnik in that it is a
          gown with no opening that is pulled on over the head. It is slightly
          more form fitting (than the Russian) but the sleeves can be long, short
          or sleevless, the hem ankle length or knee and the neckline round or
          square.

          I was wondering if any of my Russian cousins have come across an
          illustatration (of a Polish letnik) in their research.

          Magdalena Gdanska>>

          I believe I have one...let me look and ping me if I haven't replied in a
          couple days.

          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, Kruki Jedzenia;
          Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, Shire of Talonval
          Ward of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.,
          My homepage: http://members.aol.com/moxfool/zygmunt.html
          "Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" ~Mae West~