Re: [sig] Digest Number 1671

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2005
      [QUOTE]
      5. Couch white cotton yarn in a single or double
      thickness (depends on size of your pearls) along the
      stitched pattern. Cotton yarn, or "bel'," is exactly
      what was used in period for the purpose.
      6. Insert a beading needle with thread from the back
      at a starting point of your embroidery, through yarn.
      String pearl on the thread.
      7. Couch with a separate white thread between each
      pearl, tightly, going through the yarn and the
      underlying fabric.
      8. When finished laying the pearls, couch gold cord
      around the emdroidery, making sure to sew through the
      white yarn and then fabric, not outside of yarn.
      9. All done! This way, you go through each line in a
      pattern five times: pattern, "bel'," pearls, and two
      lines of gold.
      [endquote]

      Thanks!

      So, you use a narrower cord for the gold than the
      bel'?

      I'm still not sure I get step 8 -- the gold sits on
      the bel', not on the base fabric? Like: ??
      pearls
      gold gold
      cottoncotton
      ??
      (I hope that comes out! :D)
      In addition, did they use any colors other than white
      and gold? Meaning - maybe silver instead of gold?
      Maybe other color bel' with other types of jewels?
      Actually, does anyone know of any beading decoration
      used in russian garb besides pearls? I have a ton of
      amethyst colored glass E beads.....

      LOVE the Novgorod kokoshnik! I'm a hat-fiend myself.

      --Sfandra

      *sighing - I just couched a double line of
      5/16th-width white cord -- now I may have to undo it.
      Or just label this ozherlya 'test-1' :) .*

      =====
      Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
      Barony of Carolingia
      Kingdom of the East