costume and hoods

  • stiobhard
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
      i was looking at the following book in the library:

      AUTHOR:
      Wagner, Eduard, major
      UNIFORM TITLE:
      Kroje, zbroj a zbrane doby predhusitske a husitske. German
      TITLE:
      Tracht, Wehr und Waffen des spaten Mittelalters, 1350-1450. Aust
      Bilderquellen gesammelt und gezeichnet von Eduard Wagner. Text von
      Zoroslava Drobna und Jan Durdik. (Deutsch von Charlotte Kirschner und
      Ferdinand Kirschner.
      PUBLISHED:
      Prag) : Artia, (1957)

      the watercolours look victorian to me however wagner was apparently a
      german soldier during world war two
      http://www.gdw-berlin.de/bio/ausgabe.php?id=209

      about the two czech writers i have no idea. neither has a book
      published before the 1950s that i can tell.

      at any rate the watercolor illustrations depict numerous examples of
      chaperons hoods with liripipe ends.

      i went and looked at books of mediaeval and religious paintings from
      various eastern european countries.... and while i found some rare
      instances of hoods in the various paintings shown in that region...
      it was usually a mail hood or a kaffiyeh type scarf wrapped around the
      head (retained in the mens national costume in albania apparently) and
      turbans. headwear where it appears tends to be actual hats. women of
      course are shown wearing veils in virtually all cases.

      the bog examples of hoods that have been found have clear use of the
      liripipe and chaperon style and come from sweden.

      so my question is how widely distributed into the east was the typical
      mediaeval hood. would it have included the liripipe? what would have
      distinguished a chaperon from slavic countries from that of england or
      france? if anything....

      stiobhard
    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005
        Greetings!

        > so my question is how widely distributed into the east was the typical
        > mediaeval hood. would it have included the liripipe? what would have
        > distinguished a chaperon from slavic countries from that of england or
        > france? if anything....

        Rus - nothing. They wore hats.
        Lithuania, esp. in late mediaeval - must be (at least, as a Polish influence), as the fashion for hoods was kinda universal in 15 century, and Lithuania had identification with the West.

        bye,
        Alex
      • stiobhard
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
          well in transylvania... then hungary, now romania there is a town
          called medias with an altar piece that includes a figure in the
          classic chaperon folded over on top and the liripipe hanging down.

          a portrait of wenceslas I also shows him dressed in this fashion.

          in bosnia there is a jewish illumination of moses with very clear
          liripipes but on further reading found this book was actually painted
          in spain before being brought by fleeing jews to sarajevo.

          in byzantine dress shepherds apparently wore hoods though there was no
          tail. i havent found the original source yet as this was in a costume
          book... however, in dalmatian (yugoslavia) national dress shepherds
          wear similar hoods and in northern albania and especially kosovo the
          albanian men wear something like a kaffiyeh. the kaffiyeh style also
          appears in serbian and bulgarian paintings.

          mail hoods go back at least to the gold treasures of bulgaria as there
          is a well known gold medallion from bulgaria dressed in mail with a
          mail hood. and ive seen similar mail attire in croatian stonework.

          also orthodox priests and saints are often shown with hooded cloaks.
          sometimes with two beagle ears hanging on each side of the face.

          yet when i showed a photograph of a liripiped hood to a bulgarian
          friend she said there is no way that could be bulgarian... the
          medieval balkans were under ottoman control so she said their clothes
          would be in the turkish fashion

          im still working on this one.... please keep the suggestions coming.

          stiobhard

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          <Posadnik@m...> wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >

          > > so my question is how widely distributed into the east was the typical
          > > mediaeval hood. would it have included the liripipe? what would have
          > > distinguished a chaperon from slavic countries from that of england or
          > > france? if anything....
          >
          > Rus - nothing. They wore hats.
          > Lithuania, esp. in late mediaeval - must be (at least, as a Polish
          influence), as the fashion for hoods was kinda universal in 15
          century, and Lithuania had identification with the West.

          > bye,
          > Alex
        • Kresimir Zeravica
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            --- stiobhard <stiobhard@...> wrote:

            ... however, in dalmatian (yugoslavia) national
            > dress shepherds
            > wear similar hoods

            ehm Dalmatia is in Croatia buddy :)

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail