Re[2]: [sig] Once more about the butter (careful: Russian font)

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005
      Greetings

      > > (Plitius (in another reference, he is called "Plinius the Elder") in
      > >1 century AD wrote that some nationa eat butter, used before as
      > >cosmetics. One of teh first to make irt were north American tribes,
      > >then the Gauls.
      > Um... I don't think you mean 'north American tribes' here...?
      I bet I do.
      Одним из первых сливочное масло научились делать североамериканские племена, затем галлы
      if you have Russian fonts.

      > > In 5 century they started making butter in Ireland and
      > >Norway. In Italy it started in 9 century, in Russia first butter
      > >factory was made in 1871, in Vologda region, in 20 years there were
      > >376, in 1013 there were 4097 of such in Russia. Russia made good butter
      > >and was the world second butter exporter.)
      > I just checked the Encyclopedia Britannica, and they point out a key
      > date in the FACTORY making of butter:
      > "With the advent of the cream separator in the late 19th century, the
      > manufacture of butter moved from the farm to the factory."
      > This may have been the technique being dated here.
      >
      > > But:
      > > (it is a common mistake to consider butter a recent development.
      > >Though, a dairy expert A.I. Ivashura states: "since 5 century it was
      > >common in Ireland, since 9 century it was common in Italy and Ireland.
      > >The Norwegianns took kegs with melted butter to their sea fares. In an
      > >act of Niovgorod with the Germans (1270) the cost of a butter jar was
      > >mentioned. "Historical acts" state that Pecheneg (maybe, Pinega??? It's
      > >an obvious mistake), being tax-free, bought butter from the peasants
      > >and re-sold it to Antwerpen and Amsterdam...)
      >
      > > When you beat cream for long, you get butter. Any schoolboy knows
      > >that from the tale of the frog that toiled with her legs in a jar of
      > >fat milk and thus escaped from it. Our ancestors said not "maslo" but
      > >"mazlo" - from "mazat'" (spread). So-called Chukhonskoye Maslo was made
      > >of sour cream, it is less fat and has a recognisable light sour taste.
      > >But before that the Russians learned to make melted butter, which was
      > >called "Russian" (Yep! that can make the thing - melted butter can be
      > >stored for long, but is eaten only in hot dishes like Kasha, etc) by
      > >the Europeans.
      >
      > Hm... that sounds like the product we think of as 'clarified butter' or
      > 'ghee'-- butter that is melted and the milk solids removed?
      Maybe. Lingvo.yandex.ru says it's melted buffalo milk butter. In Russian, Toplenoye Maslo. Its companion, Toplenoye Moloko also gains several percent fat more after stewing in the oven.

      Thus, it seems butter WAS used in period, but its production was rather low, and it was (for Russia) clarified ("gheed" :-) ) for longer storage but that reduced its implementation to the fat-in-the-porridge, etc.

      Bye,
      Alex.