FWD: Armenian and Roma

  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2005
      A message forwarded by request of Kathy Evans (realm@...):

      Here are two pieces of info that may be of interest to the Slavic SIG.

      1. There was an article about East European Roma in The Seattle Times
      newspaper Sun Feb 6, 2005 "Nations pledge to improve Gypsies' lot"
      seattletimes.nwsource.com/ . If folks can't access the article and would
      like me to mail a copy, they can contact me with their snail mail address.

      2. There will be an Armenian dance class near Seattle in March (copy of
      emails below).

      Attention All
      What? Armenian Dance Workshop
      When? March 12 & 13
      Time? 1-4pm with breaks
      Where? Robinswood High School (cafeteria)
      Who? Hasmik Harutyunyan of the Shoghaken Ensemble
      Price? $25 per class (Sunday class is the same as Saturday)

      We have a rare opportunity in Seattle area to learn some traditional
      dances (and songs) from a master teacher. Hasmik is the feamle lead singer
      of the Shoghaken Ensemble (featured in The Music of Armenia series). She
      has done much research on Armenian music and has taught and performed in
      America, Europe and more recently Dubai. She is the artistic director for
      the Hayrig Mouradian Children's Song and Dance Folklore Group. She will be
      teaching variouse traditional dances of Armenia on Saturday, the same class
      will be repeated Sunday for those who work on Saturday. Her class will
      include a handout that briefly discusses the history of Armenian dance,
      step instructions on the dances, and some songs that go with the dances.
      There will also be some CDs for sale for those interested in Armenian music.

      So please, don't miss this opportunity to learn about Armenian dance,
      join the workshop. If you have a favorite dish, please bring it to the
      class to share. Don't forget to tell your friends. "You snooze you lose".

      Directions: From I-5 take I-405 exit. From 405 take I-90 (Spokane)
      exit. Take 148th st exit. Turn right at 22nd st. School is on the left,
      opposite the soccer field.

      For more info and to register for the class contact Aline Kevorkian
      (Goran) at (360) 357-3639 or e-mail at zarehl@...

      Thanks for passing the info on. Hope to see you at Pennsic this year.