Re: [sig] Polish Illuminated Manuscripts

  • Larry Granberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2005
      Here are some links

      The Polish National Collection, which has five links in the article to view Polish mss. in their collection http://www.bn.org.pl/COLLEC.htm

      A link for the Polish National Library, you can do some limited research there, or get leads on sources http://www.bn.org.pl/

      You can do a check at the British Library, for info. I do know that they do have some examples of Serbian and Russian mss http://www.bl.uk/search.html

      There is also the website for Arthur Szyk, Polish artist and satirist that some say resurrected the art of miniature painting. I am lucky enough to have his illuminations for the Illuminated History of Nations, and a copy of the Arabian Nights. Not very period, more romantic, but still a good reference http://www.szyk.com/index.html

      Hope this helps, if I find any others I can pass them along

      L.G.

      Daria Hayman <nunother56@...> wrote:

      Greetings all. I've been looking for examples of Eastern European, specifically Polish illuminated manuscripts. I found one example of a Polish MS, an Armenian MS, several Byzantine, lots of German.

      As always, your help is immensely appreciated B-).

      Magdalena Gdanska

      The best things in Poland are liquor from Gdansk, gingerbread from Torun, a maiden from Crakow and a shoe from Warsaw. Old Polish Proverb