red egg question

  • Daria Hayman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      Of course, red might also be indicative of the 'scarlet woman'. Just a
      thought.

      Alastair

      I am a Roman Catholic who is merely a student of iconography and not fortunate enough to have grown up with this tradition. I look to our Orthodox members to correct any misinformation I may pass on.

      Having said that, colors have meaning in iconography. Red is the color of martyrdom and humanness. Humanness as in Christ being fully human and full divine. I have not heard it to signify a prostitute. Plus the idea of Mary Magdalene being a prostitute is not documented. In the "Dictionary of Saints by John L. Delaney" it says that Mary is sometimes believed to be the sinful woman who anointed Christ's feet in Simon's house but there is no justification for this in the Gospels and modern scholars do not believe this. Two of the documented stories attributed to her is she was cured of seven demons by Christ and was the first person he appeared to after his resurrection. She is known as one of the best examples of the repentant sinner.

      Maybe Mary Magdalen being a prostitute should be filed with red, Persian pants as another myth that keeps surfacing.

      Magdalena Gdanska

      The best things in Poland are liquor from Gdansk, gingerbread from Torun, a maiden from Crakow and a shoe from Warsaw. Old Polish Proverb