[Re: [SCA-AS] Polish and Russian sources]

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      Forwarded from Magnus on the A&S list:

      >>There is a fantastic set of books being produced by
      >>http://www.bellona.pl of which I have several.
      >>Unfortunately trying to order these things directly
      >>from them has not produced results in my case.
      >>I tried to order a couple hundred dollars' worth one day.
      >>They do have a credit card payment page which I used.
      >>Let me know if you have better luck.>>
      >

      >Magnus,
      >
      >Could you give us the name of the series? I tried navigating around the
      >site, but I only have a word or two of Polish, which wasn't much help.

      Most of the ones so far published have to do with the Crusades
      period and the Moslems and the later Turks and Mongols/Tatars.
      I have several in this bunch. They are large hardbacks and not
      like Ospreys. There are a lot of illustrations and they are very
      detailed. I will say the artist has an odd way of drawing some
      types of humans. :)

      There is one I really want on the Normanowi [and Vikings] I have not
      been able to get yet but I don't look for it that often. The main
      author for the ones I am speaking of is: Michalek, Andrzej

      Here are a few of what I have bought, not my title translation
      but a Polish man's. These I have bought from Poland but he was
      selling them second hand, not new and the last time I looked
      he had quit listing alternate titles in English, Polish or
      Russian only. I am not particularly inclined to publish
      that small source widely, and you would have to go through
      a huge amount of books he lists to find the few medieval ones.
      Mostly he is a dealer for the modern army reenactors, historians
      and modellers, which is why he has some in Russian too. I'm
      quite sure he was raised to read it. I think I have spent
      5 hours or so going through his stuff each time and maybe found
      a dozen period works, when it was in English too.

      Price does not always include shipping. Most were near new or
      in fairly new shape. Not all are from Bellona:

      Wyprawy Krzyzowe. Armie Ludow Tureckich (The Crusades. Armies of the
      Turkish People)
      Michalek, Andrzej
      Price: US$ 22.
      Book Description: Warszawa, 2003. 21x30, Hb, new copy, 335pp, 38 color
      plates showing arms and armor, line drawings, color and b/w
      illustrations showing arms, armor, fortifications etc throughout. Descr.
      military art of Turks, their allies and enemies from the ancient period
      to 1453 (the fall of Constantinople). Massive reference. Text in Polish.
      Bellona

      *** There are a copy or two of this one available in America right now
      from Articles of War. $32.00 pity the ones I want aren't listed.
      Bookseller: Articles of War Ltd, 3 Rodeo Road, Silver City, NM, U.S.A.,
      88061-8710
      Homepage: http://www.articlesofwar.com/
      E-mail: warbooks@...
      Phone #: (505 ) 534-8840
      Fax #: (505 ) 534-8842
      Wyprawy Krzyzowe. Mehmed Zdobywca (The Crusades. Mahammed the Conqueror)
      Michalek, Andrzej
      Price: US$ 27.70
      Book Description: Warszawa, 2003. 21x30, Hb, new copy, 250pp, 28 color
      plates showing arms and armor, line drawings, color and b/w
      illustrations showing arms, armor, fortifications etc throughout. Descr.
      Turkish and European military art during the reign of Mahammed the
      Conqueror, 1451-1481. Massive reference. Text in Polish.
      Bellona
      Shtcherbakov, A & Dzys, I LEDOVOYE POBOISHTCHE 1242 ("Battle on Ice"
      1242) Moscow, 2000. 22,5x29,5, Hb, new copy, 82pp. Richly illustrated:
      9 full page detailed colour plates (+1 on cover) showing Russian and
      Teutonic arms and armor, numerous colour illustrations and b/w line
      drawings in text. Descr. on of the greatest event in the Medieval Rus
      history: victory at the Battle on the Tchudskoye Lake, 1242. Interesting
      reference. Text in Russian. Price: US$ 25.10 (C
      *Turnau, Irena Slownik Ubiorow (Dictionary of Dress in Poland)
      Warszawa, 2001. 17x24, Hb, new copy, 232pp, some illustrations.
      Dictionary of Polish words related to dress, leather, fabrics, arms,
      jewelry and colors, used in Poland from the Middle Ages to XIX century.
      Text in Polish. Price: US$ 28.23 Barely illustrated.
      For someone who doesn't speak Polish this is hardly helpful.
      Gruntman, Andrzej: Jazda Polska 1450-1550 (Polish Horse 1450-1550)
      Warszawa, 1997, out of print. 16,5x23,5, Pb, new copy, 37pp, 43 b/w
      illustrations (photographs, line drawings, maps), 8 color plates (+1
      plate on cover) showing medieval military dress. Incl. history,
      organization, arms, armor, pay, discipline, battles. Text in Polish.
      US$ 10.04 plus tax and shipping $8 = $19.30
      Shpakovskiy, Viatcheslav Bitva na Kalke w Leto 1223 (Battle on the
      Kalka River 1223) Moscow, 2003. 21x27,5, Pb, new copy, 64pp, 16 color
      plates showing Russian and Mongol arms and armor of the period, b/w
      illustrations in text. Descr. battle on the Kalka river in 1223 between
      Russian and Mongol armies. Defeat of Russian troops resulted in further
      weakness of the medieval Russia and Mongol domination for several
      centuries. Text in Russian.
      US$ 10.04 plus tax and shipping $8 = $19.30
      Swiatkiewicz, Piotr: Uzbrojenie wczesnosredniowieczne z Pomorza
      Zachodniego - Die Fruehmittelalterlihe Bewaffnung in Westpommern im
      Spiegel der Archaeologischen Quellen (Early Middle Ages Weapons from
      West Pomerania; Lodz, 2002. large size (A4), Pb, new copy, 184pp, 23
      full page b/w plates (line drawings) showing parts of ogirinal weapons
      and horse equipment. From the Acta Archaeologica Lodziensia series. Text
      and ill. descr. in Polish, 4pp of German Summary. US$ 16.32 + tax and
      shipping $8 = $26.02
      Gorelik, Mikhail B.: Armiya Tataro-Mongol X-XIV vv (Armies of Tatars and
      Mongols X-XIVcc.) Moscow, 2002. 21x27,5, Pb, new copy, 83pp. 35 b/w
      plates + 8 two-page colour plates showing arms and armor. Descr.
      history, organization and weapons of the Tatar and Mongol armies of the
      X-XIV centuries. Text in Russian. Interesting reference.
      US$ 17.57 plus tax and shipping $8 = $27.56 5/04
      Zukowski, Robert View Book Image RYCERSTWO POLSKIE X-XV w. (Polish
      Knighthood of the X-XV cc) Warszawa, 1999, out of print. 18,5x25, new
      copy, Pb, 96pp. Descr. the period betw. the Piasts rule and the battle
      of Grunwald. 8 colour plates showing knights (3 figures per plate) + 1
      plate on cover. Numerous line drawings, photographs and maps in text.
      Incl. medieval Polish army organization, main battles, arms, arm US$
      18.82 plus tax and shipping $8 = $28.70. 5/2004
      Shtcherbakov, A & Dzys, I KULIKOVSKAYA BITVA 1380 (Battle on the
      Kulikovo Field 1380) Moscow, 2000. 22,5x29,5, new copy, 78pp, richly
      illustrated: 9 full page colour plates showing martial dress, weapons
      and equipment of the period + 1 plate on cover, numerous line drawings,
      b/w and colour pictures in text. Descr. battle on the Kulikovo Field
      1380 - one of the greates events in the history of medieval Russia which
      put the ground for the creation of the Moscow Rus. Incl. detailed
      information about both the Russian and the Mongol armies. Interesting
      reference. Text in Russian. Bookseller Inventory #ABE-223101658 Price:
      US$ 25.10 plus tax and shipping $8= $35.41. 5/2004 Russian. Probably
      Moscow.
      LEDOVOYE POBOISHTCHE 1242 ("Battle on Ice" 1242)
      Shtcherbakov, A & Dzys, I US$ 25.10 plus tax and shipping $8= $35.41.
      5/2004w Russian.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Did not receive order listed below, all are Bellona:
      6/4/04 http://www.bellona.pl/

      Dzia?? Realizacji Zam??wie??
      Domu Wydawniczego Bellona
      ul. Grzybowska 77
      00-844 Warszawa
      tel./fax (22) 620 42 71, 652 27 65, 45 70 306
      e-mail: handel@...
      infolinia 0 801 120 367

      P. P. Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ul. Grzybowska 77
      00-844 Warszawa
      KRS 0000011289
      tel. (22) 620 20 44, fax. (22) 652 26 95
      e-mail: biuro@...
      Dzia?? Wysy??ki
      tel. (22) 652 27 01, 45 70 306

      NIEMCZA 1017
      Pawe?? Rochala
      Cena detaliczna: 22.00
      Cena internetowa: 17.60
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311098719
      240 stron; format 130x200 mm; oprawa mi??kka
      Opis
      Machiny miotaj??ce nie ustawa??y w ostrzale wa????w, ale i grodzianie nie
      pozostawali d??u??ni. W miar?? zbli??ania si?? wrogich szyk??w
      mogli u??ywa?? coraz wi??kszych kamieni, przy czym ponad palisad??
      wystawa??y tylko ??ychy i proce machin, wi??c obs??uguj??cy je byli
      os??oni??ci przed bezpo??rednim ostrza??em. Wreszcie nacieraj??ce oddzia??y
      podesz??y tak blisko, ??e mo??na by??o wyrzuci?? na nie z machin wielkie
      kosze pe??ne du??ych kamieni. Tarcz?? mo??na os??oni?? si?? przed ma??ym
      kamieniem czy strza????, ale puszczony z impetem kilkunastokilogramowy g??az
      przewraca?? ludzi i ??ama?? os??ony. Obs??ugi wie?? prze??ywa??y w??a??nie
      kanonad??.
      Ksi????ka opisuje przyczyny d??ugoletniej wojny mi??dzy kr??lem i
      cesarzem niemieckim Henrykiem II a polskim ksi??ciem Boles??awem I
      Chrobrym, przebieg poszczeg??lnych kampanii oraz obl????enie i skuteczn??
      obron?? Niemczy w 1017 r. - prze??omowego momentu tej wojny. W wyniku
      zwyci??stwa w 1018 r. zawarto pok??j w Budziszynie, na mocy kt??rego
      przyznano Polsce ziemie ??u??yc i Milska.

      WYPRAWY KRZY??OWE. HUSYCI
      Andrzej Micha??ek
      Cena detaliczna: 69.00
      Cena internetowa: 55.20
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311098980
      320 stron
      format 210x300 mm
      oprawa twarda lakierowana
      Opis
      Ksi????ka po??wi??cona walce z ostatni?? religijn?? herezj?? ??redniowiecza.
      Wed??ug opinii historyk??w by?? to ostatni cykl wojen, w kt??rych uczestnicy
      przypinali sobie krzy??e, a papie?? uznawa?? je za krucjaty. Autor opisuje
      wojny husyt??w na terenie Czech, ich starcia z mahometa??sk?? Turcj?? oraz
      dzia??ania w Polsce. Wiele informacji o wk??adzie husyt??w w rozw??j
      kultury, a szczeg??lnie architektury.

      HATTIN 1187
      Piotr Biziuk
      Cena detaliczna: 20.00
      Cena internetowa: 16.00
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311098239
      144 stron
      format 130x200 mm
      oprawa mi??kka
      Opis
      Bitwa pod Hattin by??a jedn?? z najwa??niejszych bitew czas??w
      ??redniowiecznych. Doprowadzi??a do opanowania Jerozolimy przez su??tana
      muzu??man??w Saladyna i upadku Kr??lestwa Krzy??owc??w na Bliskim Wschodzie.
      Ksi????ka opowiada o kryzysie 1187 roku, przyczynach i przebiegu bitwy
      oraz skutkach, jakie wywar??a na ??wczesny ??wiat.

      WARNA 1444
      Edward Potkowski
      Cena detaliczna: 20.00
      Cena internetowa: 16.00
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311098301
      208 stron
      format 130x200 mm
      oprawa mi??kka
      Opis
      Si??a poprowadzonego przez kr??la natarcia rycerstwa w??gierskiego i
      polskiego by??a znaczna. W??adys??awowi i pewnej liczbie jego rycerzy uda??o
      si?? rozerwa?? szyki janczar??w i wbi?? w ich czworobok. Walka musia??a by??
      krwawa i nie przesadza D??ugosz, gdy pisze, ??e janczarzy straszliw?? na
      wojsko kr??lewskie wypu??cili strza?? chmur??, ??e si?? niebo od nich
      za??mi??o. A gdy g??ste jak grad spad??y na ziemi?? pociski, wiele od nich
      zgin????o ludzi, konie pokaleczone wydawa??y j??k okropny. I dodaje nasz
      historyk, ??e w tym starciu du??o ucierpia??o wojsko kr??lewskie, a kr??l
      straci?? wielu znakomitych rycerzy.
      Monografia jednej z najs??ynniejszych bitew p????nego ??redniowiecza -
      bitwy pod Warn??: geneza konfliktu w??giersko-tureckiego, przygotowania
      wojenne obu stron, przebieg kampanii warne??skiej oraz udzia?? w niej
      wojsk polskich. Wiele interesuj??cych wiadomo??ci o pa??stwie osma??skim i
      jego si??ach zbrojnych.

      WYPRAWY KRZY??OWE. NORMANOWIE
      Andrzej Micha??ek
      Cena detaliczna: 67.00
      Cena internetowa: 53.60
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311094799
      352 stron
      format 210x300 mm
      oprawa twarda lakierowana
      Opis
      Tematem ksi????ki s?? dzieje wiking??w i Wareg??w nieustraszonych
      wojownik??w i okrutnych ??upie??c??w ze Skandynawii, kt??rych d??ugie
      ??odzie budzi??y postrach w ca??ej Europie okresu wczesnego ??redniowiecza.
      W czasie swoich wypraw dokonali wielu odkry?? geograficznych skolonizowali
      Islandi??, dop??yn??li do Ameryki. Dawali si?? we znaki zar??wno
      muzu??manom, jak i chrze??cijanom.

      S??OWIANIE-S??OWIANIE PO??UDNIOWI
      Andrzej Micha??ek
      Cena detaliczna: 57.00
      Cena internetowa: 45.60
      Wydawca: Dom Wydawniczy Bellona
      ISBN 8311096619
      280 stron
      format 205x295 mm
      oprawa twarda lakierowana
      Opis
      Autor przedstawia ??wczesny ??wiat S??owian (od V w), wielk?? w??dr??wk??
      lud??w, powstawanie i upadek "barbarzy??skich" kr??lestw, pocz??tki
      wojskowo??ci. Wi??kszo???? rozdzia????w po??wi??ca dziejom P????wyspu
      Ba??ka??skiego z racji jego pierwszoplanowej roli. Ziemie te by??y g????wnym
      celem migracji s??owia??skich.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      This one is not Bellona I think.

      Haftka, Mieczslaw: ZAMKI KRZYZACKIE W POLSCE ( Polish Castles &
      Fortifications ) Price: $ 65.00 ?????? Summary: POLISH TEXT. 1999, Malbork,
      Poland, 1st edition, hard bound with illustrated cover, no dj as issued,
      8 x 11, FINE CONDITION, 352 pages, prof. illustrated in B&W and color
      photos, with numerous B&W period illustrations, maps and plans of
      fortified places in Poland from Medieval to 18th Century.

      >Thanks!
      >
      >Cainder

      De nada I guess.
      Been a while since I tried to get the last ones.
      Wish you better luck.

      Magnus

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      "The tumult and the shouting dies/ The captains and the kings depart
      And we are left with large supplies / Of cold blancmange and
      rhubarb tart." -- Ronald Knox
    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
        One possible source to obtain Polish books from is
        www.polartcenter.com They are a small shop in Hamtramck, Michigan
        (think Detroit). Their web site isn't nearly as complete as their
        store is and they have all sorts of one-offs. They can also get stuff
        from their contacts in Poland, so drop them an email if you're looking
        for something in particular. Anyway, they are a first rate shop and
        if you're ever in southeast Michigan, stop by the store.
        Ron