Re: 14th to 16th Century Bohemian Dress

  • Elysska z Turnow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
      a long long time ago this request was posted:

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
      I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

      > Dekuju!
      > Václav z Rokycan
      ------
      SO... here is my belated answer:

      I've only got sources for 14th century - my period. And unfortunately
      they mainly focus on women. (sorry!)

      Because in the fourteenth century, Prague was the seat of the holy
      roman empire, it was extremely cosmopolitan. A university town full of
      french, italian, english, germans, czechs and czech-germans, there
      was a variety of styles. There was a sort of international style that
      people seemed to have followed. However the impression I've got from
      the below sources is that the 14th century czechs were very
      flamboyant, favouring embellished and apparently exagerrated fashion.
      My interest hasn't really extended post-hussite, so i'm not sure how
      those wars affected dress in the social strata. A lot of this study is
      piecework - a phrase here, a note there, compiling all the comments to
      get a complete image.

      It's valuable to look at the czech artists - a lot of art can be
      viewed at the Web Gallery of Art http://www.wga.hu/index1.html, and
      there are a lot of czech artists on there that you can look into. Look
      into International Gothic style and you'll find loads of czechs.

      Now... on to the References:

      Sronkova, Olga. Gothic Woman's Fashion. Prague: Artia.

      Drobná, Zoroslava. Les Tresors de la Broderie Religieuse en
      Tchecoslovaquie. [Wloszczowski] Prague, Sfinx, 1950. 63 p. plates
      (part col.), a small volume with about 27 pages of French language
      text relevant to our period. Plates are gorgeous. this book describes
      embellishment. I have translated the relevant section on beading in
      the fourteenth century, not anything further however. it covers
      secular and religious embroidery.

      Drobná, Zoroslava. Gothic drawing Translated by Jean Layton. Prague, :
      Artia [195-]. Line drawings and unfinished illuminations from late
      14th century Czech manuscripts and sketchbooks. Excellent source
      material, unusual/rarely seen images - including a fascinating series
      of occupational dress illustrations - 14th century tavern-keeper,
      bathhouse girl, miller etc etc.

      Newton, Stella Mary. Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince: a study
      of the years 1340-65. Woodbridge: Boydell Press; Totowa, NJ: Rowman
      and Littlefield,1980. 157p. Index and bibliography. ISBN 0847669394.
      Newton describes regional differences including a long discussion of
      the frilled or goffered veil and its popularity in Bohemia.

      Medieval Costume, Armour, and Weapons
      by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik. Dover Publications,
      2001. This book has line drawings copied from czech miniatures,
      illuminations and other artwork. If you have been looking at medieval
      czech art (i have references for that, too), you will be familiar with
      most of these images, but the helpful thing is that Wagner has
      organized them into topics - a whole page of belt-purses, a whole page
      of knives, etc etc, so you can view the variations on this without
      having to actually do as I was doing before getting this book: tracing
      the art. Only comment on this is WATCH out for drawings of people who
      might actually have originally been illustrated as angels (now taken
      out of context). Their clothes are usually not representative of what
      was actually worn but rather a fantasy of finery. I usually note any
      outfit that looks out of place, unusual in length or decoration, and
      try to find other examples of the same style, shown in a secular
      environment.

      Boucher, Francois. 20,000 Years of Fashion - The History of Costume &
      Personal Adornment. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1962. FA RF RM
      391.09 B75h1 Pretty standard general history of costume. Is a decent
      introduction to costume history. Divides medieval Europe into
      western and eastern regions, does not cover east central europe,
      however. Boucher "is honorary curator of Musee Carnavalet and
      director of french center for costume studies."

      With hopes of having helped,

      Elysska
    • D and L Potucek
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
        "With hopes of having helped,

        Elysska"

        My lady you most certainly have. Thank you very much.

        Václav