Re: [sig] Digest Number 1635

  • Jessica Rydill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005
      Actually, I would be quite interested in common Russian phrases too. I'm
      writing this book with Russified characters and at the moment they mainly
      speak bits of Yiddish. I'd quite like to give them a bit more authenticity.

      At the moment, my Russian vocabulary is somewhat basic. The only ones I can
      think of are "Borzhe moi" and "Zdravuytie". As for archaisms, my main source
      is operas by Rimsky and Mussorgsky, where people seem to shout "Slava" an
      awful lot.

      What is Slovo? (apart from the obvious!)

      Jessica (not an SCA member)

    • goldschp@tds.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005

        > What is Slovo? (apart from the obvious!)
        >
        > Jessica (not an SCA member)

        Good of you to ask...Slovo is the quarterly newsletter of the Slavic Interest Group (of which this listserv is part of as well). See it at the SIG website:

        http://slavic.freeservers.com

        Unless you were asking what the word "slovo" means.. in which case I have actually just answered that question as well. :)

        -- Paul Wickenden