Re: [sig] Commonly used Russian phrases...

  • Danks Cole
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2005
      I mean stuff like thank you's, hello's, good-bye's...etc....oh..and how
      the word should be pronounced

      Vlakh
    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
        Greetings!
        Sorry, but...

        > You mean period Russian? Or do you care if it's modern? If not, below is some simple stuff I remember from Russian class in college.
        > (Pardon the atrocious phonetic spelling. Cyrillic does NOT transliterate into Roman letters well.)
        > ZDRAST-vuy: Hello (informal, to one person)
        late P or completely OOP.
        More period is Zdrav bud' - literally "be healthy", actually "hello".

        > Zdrast-VUIY-tchye: Hello (more formal, or to multiple people)
        Same.

        > KAK VUIY puzh-ee-VAY-yet-tchye?: How are you?
        Completely OOP. Not used in modern Russian either. It is the calc from How do you do - and no less formal than that.

        > puh-ZHAL'-stah = Please (also, "you're welcome")
        simpler is Proshu (analog is the Polish - Proshe, but in Russian the stress is on the 2nd syllable)

        > SPASS-see-bah: Thank you
        > ees-veh-NEE-tcheh: Excuse me
        ee-z-vee-nee. Above is given the plural - polite "plural" form of addressing (originally, the dual) is at least a century OOP. Even the tsar was addressed in the singular - zdravstvui, zdrav bud', eezveenee.

        > GOSS-pod, or BOY-ar: Lord ("moy" afterwards, for "my")
        Gospod' is the Lord. God. No human was called like that. The word afair is a borrowing from the Gothic.

        Gospodin, vocative (in address) - Gospodine (gos-po-dee-nie)

        Boyar means differrent things in early and late period: first it meant just something like "senior host" of teh Knyaz's Druzhina. Later it was just the name of teh high aristocratic class. It all depends.

        > DA-ma, or boy-ar-EE-na: Lady ("mo-YA" afterwards, for "my")
        Gospozha. Dama is the OOP borrowing from the French. "Moya" is the calc from the "MY lord" or "MY Lady" and was never used in Russian, be it P or OOP.

        > DO sfee-DAN-ya: Goodbye (roughly, "Go with God.")
        ??????????
        Literally it means "see you later". No God.

        afair not used in period.

        > prosh-CHAN-ya: Goodbye (secular)
        no Russian.

        > If you already know all this stuff, there is a lot more at: http://www.meirionnydd.force9.co.uk/russian/expressions.html ...but you need to have a working knowledge of Cyrillic.

        It's a terrible salad of Russian phrases of dofferent fields - from youth slang of 1960s to litearture cliches, with at least half dozen misprints. IT IS NOT PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS HARDLY RUSSIAN!!!!!!

        bye,
        Alex
      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2005
            I've always said that if I were either Tsar or Velikii
            Kniaz, I'd have a herald sing me into court, big basso
            voice like a cantor in an Orthodox church. I just love
            the coronation scene in Eisenstien's Ivan the
            Terrible, Part 1.

            --- Lisa Kies <lkies@...> wrote:

            > X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa:
            > Originating-IP
            >
            > I've taught a class on making a Russian persona that
            > included some basic
            > Russian phrases, just to help people get deeper into
            > their own persona story.
            >
            > But I, too, have had only had limited success using
            > Russian during events. I
            > can sometimes get away with a Russian phrase where
            > the meaning would be
            > blatantly obvious, i.e. "Thank you" but most people
            > still aren't prepared to
            > play along. The best way I've found is to throw out
            > the Russian, and then
            > immediately correct myself with the English
            > translation, pretending that I said
            > the Russian accidentally and then caught myself. It
            > helps expand people's
            > horizons.
            >
            > Sofya la Rus
            >
            > Quoting LiudmilaV@...:
            > >
            > > I'd like to hear from soneone for whom it worked.
            > I know plenty of phrases,
            > > but I find that using them just baffles people. Th

            > ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
            > ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
            > ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • Amber morgan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2005
              Hi! Vlakh,

              Did you mean like neat things to say to liven up persona (SCA). Like culture specific "Proverbs and Sayings"?
              I used search terms "Russian Sayings"
              and got this right away.

              http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/literature/russian-proverbs.html

              Amber-who's tounge speaks but head doesn't know

              Take Care-I was looking for some of these too and maybe Alexski will speak up if there are any that are way totally ignorant---here is a link written by some russians to english speakers who can't fake the accent right. For Persona development. It covers how to say ruski sounding "the" vs. "take" ect.
              http://www.sdandi.net/essays/R-accent
            • Danks Cole
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 16, 2005
                [Clip your posts]

                Hey Amber...

                That site is a great idea....thanks alot!

                Vlakh

                [Clip your posts]