Introduction and a Question

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005
      Greetings!
      I am a bit of a newbie to the SCA, and am interested in early medieval
      Latvian or Lithuanian clothing. (12th Century of earlier.)

      I am trying to track down two books, 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' and
      'Latviesu Tautas Terpi - Rakski - Izsusana' by Maruta Grasmane,
      however as I don't speak a word of Latvian I am not sure how useful
      either of these books will be for me. If anybody has seen copies of
      these texts and could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

      Any information on costuming would be appreciated, especially
      websites. Reading your newsletter Slovo has been very enjoyable, and
      is where I found out about 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture'. :)

      Once again, if anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right
      direction, it would be appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Rebecca
    • goldschp@tds.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
        > I am trying to track down two books, 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' and
        > 'Latviesu Tautas Terpi - Rakski - Izsusana' by Maruta Grasmane,
        > however as I don't speak a word of Latvian I am not sure how useful
        > either of these books will be for me. If anybody has seen copies of
        > these texts and could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

        I'd be happy to help with 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' if you like as I have my own copy. Contact me off the list.

        -- Paul Wickenden
      • efeja_feja
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <goldschp@t...> wrote:
          > > I am trying to track down two books, 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' and
          > > 'Latviesu Tautas Terpi - Rakski - Izsusana' by Maruta Grasmane,
          > > however as I don't speak a word of Latvian I am not sure how useful
          > > either of these books will be for me. If anybody has seen copies of
          > > these texts and could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > I'd be happy to help with 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' if you like as I
          have my own copy. Contact me off the list.

          > -- Paul Wickenden

          Forgive the late post on this, I've only just joined the group. The
          book is available through Balticshop.com ... and through most Latvian
          Cultural Centres.

          Depending on the time period you are interested in...you will either
          be thrilled or annoyed with the book. For 8 to 13th century it's a
          big disappointment. For 17th and 18th century folk costumes (which
          remember are often a mixture of about 7 different centuries in one
          costume) it's probably fine.

          Like anything it all depends on the amount of authenticity and the
          time period you are interested in.

          Efeja
        • Paul W. Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005
            At 09:34 PM 2/24/2005 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <goldschp@t...> wrote:
            > > > I am trying to track down two books, 'Latvijas Senaka Vesture' and
            > > > 'Latviesu Tautas Terpi - Rakski - Izsusana' by Maruta Grasmane,
            > > > however as I don't speak a word of Latvian I am not sure how useful
            > > > either of these books will be for me. If anybody has seen copies of
            > > > these texts and could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            >Forgive the late post on this, I've only just joined the group. The
            >book is available through Balticshop.com ... and through most Latvian
            >Cultural Centres.
            >
            >Depending on the time period you are interested in...you will either
            >be thrilled or annoyed with the book. For 8 to 13th century it's a
            >big disappointment. For 17th and 18th century folk costumes (which
            >remember are often a mixture of about 7 different centuries in one
            >costume) it's probably fine.

            Which one of these books are you talking about? The first book doesn't
            even cover the 17th and 18th centuries.

            -- Paul