Re: Digest Number 1631

  • Ben McGarr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2005
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Kremer <eluned_p@y...> wrote:
      > > Well, he adopted the Byzantine double-headed eagle
      > > after he married Sofia
      > > Paleologia. Can't name anything else off the top of
      > > my head
      > >
      > > Vasilisa Myshkina
      > > Glymm Mere, An Tir

      Dorogaya Vasilisa Prekrasnaya,

      It was Vanya's Grandad Ivan III Velikiy who wed the Greek lass, not
      himself! He married about six times I think, including firstly
      Anastasia Romanova, and lastly Mariya Nogaya from the Caucasus.

      Funnily enough, what with Ivan being quarter Greek, I have seen
      bronze casts of his bust made by the anthropologist Gerasimov from
      his disinterred skull, and he looks remarkably like the [extremely
      attractive] Russified Greek TV presenter here in Russia, Tina
      Kandalakis... I wonder has she been told of this?

      Benchik

      Mmmm, for his flag? Just the Moscow crest of St George killing the
      dragon on a red shield, stuck on the front of an eaglet?