File - FAQ.txt

  • sig@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 107 , Jan 1, 2005
      Slavic Interest Group Mailing List (SIG-L) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
      Last update: 18 September 2003

      Main SIG page
      http://slavic.freeservers.com

      Main SIG-L page (message archives, etc.)

      Old SIG Message Archives
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/

      SIG organizer
      Paul Wickenden of Thanet (goldschp@...)

      SIG-L moderators
      Default (sig-owner@...)
      Yana (yana@...)
      Liudmila (LiudmilaV@...)

      List Basics

      ** What is sig@yahoogroups.com?
      The SIG List (hereafter called "SIG-L") provides a discussion forum on the history and culture of the Medieval Slavic, Eastern European, and Central European world. We are aimed specifically towards members of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) with Slavic, Eastern European and Central European personas, but we provide information and resources to anyone.

      ** Are SIG-L and the Slavic Interest Group the same organization?
      No. SIG-L is an offshoot of the larger and older Slavic Interest Group (hereafter called "SIG"). SIG-L was established as an additional way for members of SIG to talk to each other more quickly than via the quarterly newsletter. Not all the members of SIG are on SIG-L and vice versa. This means that if you are a member of SIG-L, it does not automatically make you a member of SIG. To become a member of SIG, write to the SIG organizer at goldschp@... or go to http://slavic.freeservers.com and follow the links there. Membership is free. We just ask that you be willing to share what you know with the rest of us.

      ** What cultures does SIG-L cover?
      SIG-L (and SIG) covers all the former members of the Soviet Union (just for convenience, no political agenda is implied). We encompass the medieval cultures of Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Transylvania, Latvia, Lithuania, Karelia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Great Moravia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Dalmatia, Albania, Poland, Estonia, Belarus, Moldova, Armenia, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Kirgizistan, Kazakhstan, Turkestan, Khazaria, and any related ethnic groups. We aren't _just_ a Slavic organization, it is just simpler to call ourselves "SIG" instead of trying to incorporate the initials of all the countries and groups we cover.

      ** You mentioned a newsletter...
      SIG publishes "Slovo", our quarterly newsletter. "Slovo" means "word" in many Slavic languages, so we thought it would be a good name for the newsletter. It comes out in the middle of the months of January, April, July and October. The submission deadlines are the first of those same months. Slovo is available free on the web off the main SIG page. Back issues are also archived there. If you need a paper copy, write to the editor at goldschp@.... Paper copies are also free, but donations are cheerfully accepted to cover copying and mailing costs.

      ** Does SIG-L have archives?
      Yes, in two places. The older archives can be viewed at
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/ The more recent archives are at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig

      ** What can I talk about here on SIG-L?
      Anything relating to pre-1650 CE (approximately) Slavic or Eastern or Central European history and culture or anything Slavic, Eastern European or Central European as it pertains to the SCA is welcome here. Sometimes we talk about modern subjects, which is okay as long as we generally stay on topic. Feel free to start a new topic, ask questions or debate a subject. We have beginners on the List as well as advanced and professional researchers, but everyone is friendly and we all welcome questions and subjects at any level.

      ** What is not permitted on the list?
      a) Personal Flamewars. Debating a subject is fine, heated argument is not.
      b) Personal Attacks/Rudeness. Attack the argument, not the author.
      c) Ethnic and Regional insults. This is absolutely not acceptable here.
      d) SPAM. This includes chain letters, appeals from charities, virus warnings, etc.
      e) UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Email). Commercial posts are allowed if they are pre-approved by one of the moderators.

      ** What are the basic commands for this list?
      SIG-L is based off YahooGroups, a web-based provider. Through YahooGroups (http://www.yahoogroups.com) you can subscribe, unsubscribe and otherwise manage your account. Simply enter your email address and the password you were given when you subscribed and follow the directions there. If you are not yet a member, follow the directions given there to sign up for an account.

      ** What if I don't have web-access or don't want to use the YahooGroups website?
      Not a problem, you can still manage your subscription easily (and you don't even need a password). Send a blank email (no message or subject) to the appropriate address below:

      sig-subscribe@yahoogroups.com - subscribe to SIG

      Be sure to reply to any message that YahooGroups sends you about your account (and save your password if you were given one!). If you don't reply, YahooGroups may think you didn't want to really subscribe/unsubscribe/change your settings. This is a safety precaution done to prevent subscribers from being the victims of pranksters.

      **I'm on the digest. How do I reply to separate messages?
      To reply to a message found on the digest, 'cut' the contents of the message that you wish to quote, 'paste' it in a message to sig@yahoogroups.com, and add your comments. Make sure you do NOT reply directly to the From: field on the digest! If this becomes a habit, then you will be put on a moderated status and misdirected replies will be silently deleted.

      List Courtesy

      **I think that someone is being rude and insulting! What can I do?
      First, try reading the post again. Sometimes it is hard to tell what a person is really saying because of the difficulties of communicating using email. It also helps if you read all the posts on a subject before you respond, especially if you get the digest. Sometimes the concern has already been addressed.

      If you still have a problem with what is being said, you have two options:
      a) Talk to a moderator about your concerns. It is their job is to handle stuff like this.
      b) Reply to the sender of the message without flaming

      **What is "flaming"?
      Flaming is a post, usually containing an argument or reply, that serves only to exacerbate the situation. If you have written something in the heat of anger, irritation or excitement please re-read the post and take out the elements of possible insult while getting the logic of your point across. Flaming is a big "no-no" on this List and offenders will be put on probation and moderated (messages will be reviewed by a moderator before being sent to the List). Overstepping the bounds of civility and courtesy, on mistake or on purpose, will not be tolerated. If the flaming continues, the offender(s) will be banned permanently.

      **I think we are drifting off topic/I think this list is too advanced for me.
      If you are concerned that the topic has drifted, feel free to restate the original topic and try to get everyone back on track. Just do it in a polite manner. As for concerns about the List being too advanced, please ask questions about what you don't understand. You will find people are very willing to explain and clarify. While it is true that sometimes the discussions can get a bit esoteric, please remember that this List is aimed towards all levels of research interest.

      **Anything else I should know?
      a) Please clip your posts! This means only quoting what is relevant to your own post and not including the entire letter unless absolutely necessary (which is extremely rare). It gets very annoying very quickly to have to page down through an entire letter (or more!) that someone has stuck on the end of their reply.

      b) Keep subject lines relevant. If a message thread has evolved to something that has nothing to do with the original subject, please feel free to change the subject line to something more appropriate.

      Research

      ** Can you recommend some books for different eras and peoples?
      There is an extensive bibliography (with notes) on the web at the main SIG page You can also write to the list and ask for recommendations or reviews of specific books, but it is a lot faster if you look at the SIG bibliography first.

      ** Where can I find help developing my persona?
      You are in luck! There are several web pages that members of SIG-L have created. We call them Knowledge Pages. They are aimed towards a specific country and include information on dress, food, naming practices, persona development, history, language and other themes. Simply find the Knowledge Page you wish and read, read, read!

      **What are "the Knowledge Pages?"
      They are a series of country-based web pages that are organized using similar subject categories to aid research. Here you can find information on a wide variety of subjects such as food, dress, persona development, history and much more. You can find the Knowledge Pages under our "Links" on YahooGroups, or visit the main SIG page.

      ** Where can I find someone near me?
      Feel free to ask on SIG-L! This is also where becoming a member of SIG comes in handy. SIG maintains a member list that lists name, location, interests and contact information. You can simply scan the list and contact whomever you choose. It is linked off the main SIG page under "members".

      ** Are there recipes for my culture? Where would I find them?
      ** Where can I get ideas for clothing from my culture?
      ** What about music and art?

      To all the above: First, check out the appropriate Knowledge Page for the culture in question. You might also want to check out the Florilegium, a major collection of messages arranged by subject headings. The Florilegium is at http://www.florilegium.org/
      If you can't find answers there, try writing to the List.

      We hope this FAQ has been helpful. If you have any further questions or suggestions, please let us know.

      Happy Researching!
    • sig@yahoogroups.com
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 1 1:45 PM
        Slavic Interest Group Mailing List (SIG-L) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
        Last update: 2 December 2012
        Main SIG page
        http://slavic.freeservers.com

        Main SIG-L page (message archives, etc.)

        SIG organizer
        Paul Wickenden of Thanet (goldschp@...)

        SIG-L moderators
        Paul (goldschp@...)
        Liudmila (LiudmilaV@...)

        List Basics

[...]

        c) Ethnic, Regional, Racist, and Cultural insults. This is absolutely not acceptable here.
[...]

        List Courtesy