Future of Ancient Culture Rides on Herd's Little Hoofbeats

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/science/21rein.html?hp

      Future of Ancient Culture Rides on Herd's Little Hoofbeats
      By AMANDA LEIGH HAAG

      Published: December 21, 2004

      BOULDER, Colo., Dec. 20 - When Morgan Keay visited the tiny nomadic group of
      reindeer herders known as the Tsaatan in Mongolia in August, she asked what
      she could bring them on her return. Their request was simple, she recalls.

      "We really need herd record-keeping books," they told her. "We want them to
      be waterproof" and to fit in a pocket. "They should come with a pencil," the
      herders went on, "because pencil doesn't bleed when it gets wet. And they
      should all be in Mongolian."

      [snipped by moderator. You can read the entire article at the URL given above]