Time and Place for Nordskogen Russian Feast

  • Jenna Mitelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2004
      Greetings!

      Some time ago, I posted an announcement on this list about an upcoming
      Russian Feast event in the Barony of Nordskogen (St. Paul, MN).
      The time and place for that event has now been finalized.

      It'll be happening on Saturday, April 2nd, 2005, in the halls of St.
      Matthew's Lutheran Church, which is located at 701 N Lexington Parkway
      in St. Paul.

      The event website isn't up yet, but I will post a link to it when it's
      ready, and I hope at least some of you will be able to attend.
      It's a one day event, but if any of you are thinking of coming from
      far away, and would like help finding lodging in the area, let me
      know, and I will try to arrange something through the barony.

      For those of you who might be able to attend, I am still looking for
      both teachers and entertainers.
      So if you think you could teach on any subject at all related to
      Medieval Russia in any of its incarnations (Novgorodian, Kievan,
      Golden Horde, Muscovite, etc.), please let me know. Specifically, I've
      had a request for a class on egg dying (pysanky), so if anyone can
      teach on that, since I won't be available all day, please speak up and
      volunteer. Otherwise, more general classes accessible to an audience
      with no particular Slavic interests are best, but anything will be
      welcome.

      As for entertainers, I am looking for people to perform anything at
      all (musical or recitation) either from Medieval Rus and surrounding
      areas, or in a style of that region and period, in any language at
      all, during the feast itself. So anything like playing the gusli (if
      you actually have a set, I would love to see it!), chanting religious
      poetry in Russian, reciting a portion of an epic in English
      translation, reading your own poetry done along the lines of the
      Zadonschina, or anything else along those lines, would be very
      welcome. Please let me know if you would like to do something like
      that, and what you think you might like to do, so I can schedule it
      in.

      I will also be holding an A&S competition on site, where the only
      entry requirement is that the subject be something Russian or from
      nearby areas. Anything at all, be it woodworking, embroidery, garb,
      scrolls, food, brewery, metalwork, jewelry, poetry, music, etc. will
      be accepted, as long as you can document it to medieval Rus. So if
      you're going to be around, please consider entering.

      If you have something you have made, and just don't want to enter it
      in competition, please consider bringing and displaying it (especially
      good for large things like armor, garb, scrolls, etc.) I will have a
      display area set up, but please let me know if you're planning to
      bring something, so I can have enough space set up for you.

      Please contact me if you have any questions at all, or would like more
      information.

      I'm sorry for taking up the time (and bandwidth) of all those who live
      too far and cannot attend.

      Blagodarstvuyu,

      ~Aryenne

      Aryenne bat David Halevi de Troyes (mka Jenna Mitelman)

      (612) 678-5678 (Day)
      (612) 872-0272 (Eve)
      (763) 234-1816 (Cell)

      Jenna.Mitelman@...