New member

  • lup_alb_13
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
      Hi! I'm a new member from Romania. I live in a transylvanian town
      where there is an important medieval castle so I was allways
      interested in medieval history. I discovered this group while I was
      searching the Internet for articles about medieval weapons and armor
      making techniques. At the moment I am writing a Pen&Paper RPG with
      late medieval influences so I was interested about weapons and armor
      in that period because I want to add a touch of realism to my game.
      Looking at somme SCA sites I've had the ideea that it is not
      imposible to gather a similar group here in my town. Maybe I will
      succeed ... I don't know. I the mean time you can ask any question
      related to medieval history of Romania and especially Transylvania
      and I will try to aswer you the best I can. I know a few things about
      medieval romanian weapons and armor.
    • Destiny or Jadwiga
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
        Hello, I'm a new member of this group; although I joined the SCA in 1994, I quit the SCA for Mundane reasons in 2000 & just joined again almost a year ago.

        My Scadian name is Jadwiga Wawrzynowiczowna, and I hail from Poznan, Poland. It is the year 1550. My fiance and most of my family was killed in the fire of 1536, which also took all we possessed. I never married, instead scraping by with little to my name and mourning my loss these many years.

        Mundanely, I've had a devil of a time trying to find information on women's garb, (especially anything that I can wear in the hot summer months here in the Kingdom of Meridies).

        I'm also finally starting to research the culture of the area (I was just having too much fun playing to bother much back when I was with the SCA earlier; the most I did was research names, and even then, I just took my Mundane great-grandparents' surname and gave it the proper form for an unmarried woman of the times [which name passed without comment in 1996, by the way] and discovered that the modern version is most populous in Poznan, which is why I am basing my persona there).

        Anyway, any help anyone can give with customs as well as garb would be most appreciated.

        YIS,
        Jadwiga W.
      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
          Greetings!

          If you were a smidgen earlier, I'd suggest looking at the Balthasar Behem Codex from Krakow, 1505.

          Some info in English: http://www.krakow-info.com/codexBB.htm
          Black and white facsimile: http://drw-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/drw-cgi/zeige?db=qvdig&index=digsiglen&term=krakauzfto.&darstellung=v&dig=j&ref=index.

          This website might also be inspiring, as it shows the reconstructed outfits from artwork (which you can see if you follow the links saying "Zobacz szczeg√≥łowy opis"). It all looks very German-ish to me, but I know very little about the 16th century.
          http://www.chantberry.com/ren-pl.html

          The SIG newsletter, Slovo, has also included information on dress, including sketches of women from Poznan, but I couldn't tell you what the original source is.
          http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news41.html

          Hope that helps!

          Asfridhr
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Destiny or Jadwiga" <zephyrgray@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I'm a new member of this group; although I joined the SCA in 1994, I quit the SCA for Mundane reasons in 2000 & just joined again almost a year ago.
          >
          > My Scadian name is Jadwiga Wawrzynowiczowna, and I hail from Poznan, Poland. It is the year 1550. My fiance and most of my family was killed in the fire of 1536, which also took all we possessed. I never married, instead scraping by with little to my name and mourning my loss these many years.
          >
          > Mundanely, I've had a devil of a time trying to find information on women's garb, (especially anything that I can wear in the hot summer months here in the Kingdom of Meridies).
          >
          > I'm also finally starting to research the culture of the area (I was just having too much fun playing to bother much back when I was with the SCA earlier; the most I did was research names, and even then, I just took my Mundane great-grandparents' surname and gave it the proper form for an unmarried woman of the times [which name passed without comment in 1996, by the way] and discovered that the modern version is most populous in Poznan, which is why I am basing my persona there).
          >
          > Anyway, any help anyone can give with customs as well as garb would be most appreciated.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Jadwiga W.

        • Destiny or Jadwiga
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2011
            Thank you for the links, they are very helpful!

            Interestingly, I had already found one of the paintings referenced on the chantberry site and am in the midst of making a dress of the same style, although I was having trouble with the sleeves; one of the references I had found and Baroness Leda both said that that style of dress consisted of two pieces: an underdress/chemise, usually of brocade, with long sleeves, and an overdress, usually of velvet, with short sleeves. However, I thought the sleeves in the painting were one piece, and the reconstruction bears me out. Therefore, I am making the sleeves one piece.

            I realize that there are probably variations on that style - it probably was worn both ways, and I may make a second dress, at some point, of the other style. However, at this point, it's just easier and certainly cheaper for me to make 1-pc. sleeves with no chemise.

            Jadwiga W.