RE: Hello from a new member

  • Melissa A Barton (S)
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2004
      [[I don't have a single piece of garb yet, so I'm trying to figure out
      what to
      make and how to make it. I found the extensive bibliography on the SIG
      website. But how do people actually get hold of these books? They don't
      look
      like something one would find in a local branch of a county library...]]

      Most, if not all, local libraries should be able to put in interlibrary
      loans. You might be able to do this yourself through a computer or you
      might have to ask a librarian for paper forms to fill out. Interlibrary
      loan accesses the collections of libraries all over the U.S., so almost
      anything is available. I've managed to get some pretty obscure books
      through ILL -- right now I have a couple books on medieval Romanian
      costume (which I can't read, sigh, due to my lack of ability to read
      Romanian) checked out through ILL.

      Russian costume seems to be one of those trickier times to research,
      especially as early as 13th century. But I find the trickier times and
      places are more fun. Much more sense of accomplishment when you finally
      find that really great book.

      -Qulan
      (who is a non-Golden Horde Mongol in the SCA, although she thought about
      it)

    • Anthony J. Bryant
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2004
        Katya napisala:

        > My name is Ekaterina (Katya for short), I've just joined the list. I'm new
        > to the SCA, too. Only been to one event so far... I'm so new I haven't even
        > decided on a name yet! To complicate the matters, I'm fairly new to the USA,
        > too (came over from Russia several years ago), so please don't be surprised
        > if some of the questions I ask will sound a little strange.

        Zdrastvui, Katya! Ya tozhe zhivu v Midrealme (v Indianii -- ne plokha). Ya ne
        ochen khorosho govaryu po-russkij, no mne ochen nravitsa. Ranche, ya byl
        studentom v seminarii Sv. Tikhona v state Pennsylvaniya. Menya zovut Anthony, no
        v seminarii bratsvo nazval menya "Tosha." Seichas ya -- pisatel.

        Esli vy khotite vstretitsa so mnoj ili razgovarivat, soobschite mne.

        Edward of Effingham
        --

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • Lente
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2004
          Welcome Katya,

          Well, you can always try Inter-Library Loan (ILL for short), at my local
          libray it runs about $2 or so to have them run the process through.
          Otherwise do you have a unviersity or college near? You might be able to get
          a library card to their library (I think my local university charges $35 to
          get a library card) and get books that the public libraries doesn't carry.
          If your local group has a e group list you can always ask and see if anyone
          has some of the books you want to look at and see about viewing the books at
          their place. I have found it better to be able to look at a book before
          deciding that I need that one on my own shelves.

          Kathws
          9th centruy Magyar persona
          Barony of al-Barran
          Kingdom of the Outlands

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2004
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Uma Palata" <Uma-Palata@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings all,

            > I live in the Middle Kingdom, in the Marche of Alderford (in other
            words, in
            > North-East Ohio).
            > I don't have a single piece of garb yet, so I'm trying to figure out
            what to
            > make and how to make it. I found the extensive bibliography on the SIG
            > website. But how do people actually get hold of these books? They
            don't look
            > like something one would find in a local branch of a county library...
            >
            > Wishing everybody a nice day,
            >
            > Katya

            Ohio has an excellent Interlibrary Loan program. Go to www.oplin.org
            and you can access the catalog of items in the collections of
            libraries throughout the state. Click on "Find a Library" on the home
            page, and then click on your county on the map of Ohio. YOu should
            find your library listed. There's no charge for borrowing the books.
            At least at our library, if the book I've requested isn't in the
            system, we have a research librarian who will go out of her way to try
            and find it for me. I've borrowed books that have come from
            out-of-state and university libraries.

            Susannah
          • jennamitelman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2004
              Privet, Katya!

              Welcome to the Society!

              As a Russian speaker, you might have an easier time getting ahold of
              some of the books on the list - and many others that are not on the
              list, because they're not even available in English - if you look
              for them in the original Russian.

              I definitely recommend searching the web for the titles of books
              you're interested in, and running the search in Russian - this works
              great on Google. Because many of the books are either not copyright
              protected anymore, or just nobody cares, they are often posted
              online with their entire text. So try running a search, and check
              Russian search engines, too - Yandex.ru, etc. This will let you find
              many of the books, and if you run a search on information in
              general, you'll find many other books, as well.

              In addition, try websites and other sources, that sell Russian
              books - either kniga.com or ozon.ru are 2 good ones, and have worked
              for me in the past. You can often get the books in Russian
              relatively cheaply, since they're not exactly in high demand, but
              all sorts of stuff got printed in Russia over the years.

              If you still have contacts back in Russia, you could have them look
              for things for you there, too - it's sometimes cheaper and easier to
              ship copies of things than get them here, or they could look up
              information for you, and simply tell you what you want to know.

              As a native Russian speaker myself, I've found these to be the
              easiest methods of getting information on questions relating to
              Russia.

              Feel free to contact me if you'd like any more help searching for
              Russian sources!

              Udachi!

              ~Aryenne / Zhenya

              Aryenne bat David Halevi de Troyes (mka Jenna Mitelman)
              Barony of Nordskogen, Kingdom of Northshield
              Jenna.Mitelman@...