Re: [sig] Kievan Question?

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
      X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

      Fresh-water pearls were very popular for embellishing garments in Kievan Rus.
      Glass beads were also popular. Ibn Fadlan mentions that green beads were
      particularly prized by the Rus ladies, but I have not seen that verified
      anywhere else. I have seen blue, yellow, green, black with yellow
      stripes/squiggles, millefiore, amber, black with white stripes/squiggles,
      transluscent crystal, transluscent yellow, yellow with red stripes, etc. glass
      beads from the Novgorod excavations.

      Jewelry used enameling, filigree, pearls, some jewels (rough cabochen cut, of
      course).

      Rus ornament is a huge, slippery subject, but I hope this helps get you
      started.

      In Service,
      Sofya la Rus

      ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
      ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
      ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
    • Marina
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
        Thanks for the further elucidation.  I find all the different names
        fascinating.  I wonder what the taste differences are between the different
        varieties.  Guess I will wait till summer and then raid the weeds growing in
        my parents garden (I live 10 floors up in downtown Ottawa - no weeds - gosh
        darn!)

        Thanks again
        Marina

      • Thomas Huber
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 14, 2004
          Thanks for the Kievan bead answers, that was actually
          a lot of help. I have some other questions now.

          First: What kind of clothes designs am I looking at
          for kiev in 900 b.c.e.? I am not shure what it correct
          for my time period in Kiev (Kyiv).

          Second: I am aslo looking for underwear designs. I
          have some undergarment instructions, but they are
          mainly from the 13th Century.

          Thanks for all your help so far and in the future. It
          has been extreemly welcomed.

          -Bjorn Blundr

          =====
          http://www.meregeeks.com/ .WEBCOMIC

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
            Greetings!

            > Thanks for the Kievan bead answers, that was actually
            > a lot of help. I have some other questions now.
            > First: What kind of clothes designs am I looking at
            :-)
            > for kiev in 900 b.c.e.? I am not shure what it correct
            > for my time period in Kiev (Kyiv).
            It all depends on what direction your persona is looking. Early Kiev was 1) rather cosmopolitan-looking, as 2) it was standing on a very old trade route from the (today) central Russia to the Balcans and Mediterranean. It was also on teh weay from the Steppe (Mongolia to Hungary) to European woods. Thus, it borrowed a lot from the Steppe and fom the tradeers that passed it. Thus, steppe (Turcic), oriental (Arabic & Persian), Nortern (Scandinavian & Finnish), European (Frankish) and Balcan (Bulgarian and Byzantian) motifs. It's you to make the salad, just choose the ingredients.

            > Second: I am aslo looking for underwear designs. I
            > have some undergarment instructions, but they are
            > mainly from the 13th Century.

            Afair it's not the case in the 9 century. Underwear was the same pattern wear. Simply two pants worn together, in cold weather. The same with shirts. No bras, of course :-)
            Changes in all that took place later (btw, "undergarment of 13 century" marked the need for it, as the climate changed, which led, say, to blocking of inter-Atlantic routes and desolation of Viking settlements in the New World and Greenland - and in the 9 century the climate was quite opposite, The Minor Climatic Optimum), and (imho + some research) the underwear patterns used to be a little more obsolete pattern of the everyday apparel.

            Bye,
            Alex
          • Danks Cole
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
              To anyone in or near the Toronto area....there is an exibit at the Royal
              Ontario Museum called 'Pearls' that has a Russian gown with 100,000
              pearls beaded into it.... it was most spectacular.....

              Vlakh

              [Clip your posts, please. --Moderator]
            • Susan Koziel
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                I'd assume that different varieties could have vastly
                different tastes... Broccoli & Cauliflower both are
                varieties of Brassica oleracea
                -Kataryna

              • Susan Koziel
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                  Hi,
                  From another list I found that Pigweed is also used
                  for Amaranthus retroflexus (aka red root)
                  http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amare.htm

                  This, from what I've found is not edible.

                  Here's a picture of the edible Pigweed/Lambs Quarters
                  http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/cheal.htm
                  -Kataryna
                • Susan Koziel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                    Also here's
                    Solanum nigrum
                    http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/solni.htm
                    The poisonous one, for reference
                    -Kataryna
                  • Tat'ianna Radokovaia Codlin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                      A picture of it would be wonderful for us poor souls that don't live near
                      Toronto.