Speaking of cultural events...

  • faerelady
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2004
      In Milwaukee there is the annual Holiday Folk Fair, which is if not
      the biggest multi-cultural festival in North America, I believe it is
      certainly one of the biggest. The website for more info is

      www.Folkfair.org

      As a child I danced in it for a local Polish dance group for 4 years.
      Its a nice event. There's Ukrainian, Russian, Pole, Serb, and I
      forget who else is Slav that participates, plus other European,
      African, Asian and miscellaneous (like American Cloggers). There's
      food, stuff to buy like Christmas handicrafts and tons of dancing in
      authentic costumes (even if the dancers aren't always of the
      ethnicity. Most Arab belly dancers seem NOT to be Arab)

      It runs November 19-21st.

      All of the groups that run the food, retail and dancing groups are
      regional ethnic preservation groups, which, while not going back pre-
      Renaissance, in fact it is primarily focused on the cultures of the
      respective ethnicities immigration, circa 19th centuy, it is
      nonetheless an interesting experience for anyone of you that might be
      in the Milwaukee/Chicago region. It is every year one week before
      Thanksgiving. I thought I'd post this as some of you might either
      have an interest and/or be the region.

      Jennifer