Decorative elements of 10thC Kievan

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2004
      It seems to me that a standard of decorating Kievan
      Rus garb (navershnik) is trim and embroidery around
      the hems and cuffs. What I'm wondering is if there is
      any evidence for the designs also working up the
      center front and around the neck of the design? Would
      that interfere with a ozherlya? I can see where later
      Muscovy fashions are pulling their design from Eastern
      influences, and the decorative bits up the front are
      in fact along openings. Yet looking earlier to the
      Byzantine influence, the ozherlya is clearly a
      descendant of the pallium worn by women, minus the
      dangly bits. Would those vertical bits be integrated
      into the navershnik, or left out completely?

      I do have a copy (xeroxed) of "History of Ukrainian
      Costume", but I lent it out, and I just can't picture
      the color plates at this time....

      Any input/opinions/references would be helpful!

      --Sfandra
      --starting to plan my 12th night outfit...whether I go
      to 12th night or not!

      =====
      ******************
      Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
      Barony of Carolingia
      Kingdom of the East
      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
        Resending to see if anyone tosses out opinions:

        =====
        ******************
        Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
        Barony of Carolingia
        Kingdom of the East
        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Susan Koziel
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
          Hmmm...
          some pictures from one of my costuming books I keep in
          a zip file on line (Possibly even from "History of
          Ukrainian Costume)...

          http://www.geocities.com/kataryna_dragonweaver/SCA/costumes.html

          There is also this site, with pictures
          http://www.oratania.com.ua/vbrannia.php
          I can't be certian of the quality of the research on
          the site (I saddly don't speak Ukrainian and have not
          had the site translated yet) but the pictures are from
          a Ukrainian book on historical costume (again I don't
          know how good the source is). I found it because the a
          local show (done in Ukrainian) had an interview with
          the author, and my cohort in crime taped it for me. I
          went looking for info to get the book & found the
          site.
          -Kataryna
          PS: if anyone knows anything about the quality of the
          costume research in the book listed in the fist
          sentence on the page I'd be happy for the information
          (wasting my time getting the book and translating it,
          if it's a poor source would be depressing)