Natena

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
      Hi,
      This came to me from two sources, the sig list and a
      friend that gets the cooks list...
      :)

      Natena is pig weed (according to my Uncle, a older
      Ukrainian farmer).

      Pig weed is also called Lambs Quarters, fat hen, and
      it's Latin name is Chenopodium album.

      My mom & dad gave me some more info on the plant -
      mostly taken from memory and the book "Edible Garden
      Weeds of Canada" by Adam F. Szcsawinski, and Nancy J.
      Turner, National Museum of Canada, Ottawa, 1978.

      Pig Weed
      Self sows readly, and is considered a weed.
      Height 60-100 cm
      Has small, green-white flowers, & green lance shaped
      leaves.
      It can be cooked as a vegtable or tossed in a salad
      (Also pigs love the stuff in their forage but it can
      be poisonous to them in large quantities according to
      one source... tho we have our doubts about the quality
      of this source, since my mom's family feed it to their
      pigs regularly with no ill effects.)
      Contains 2 X the amount of vitamin A&C then spinach
      Seeds can be seperated by winnowing in the wind,
      cooked to mush, dried & ground into flour or used in
      soups or stews.
      It was commonly used by Europeans during the wars,
      as an emergancy food. It was known in Europe, Ireland,
      and in the Hebrides.
      When it was brought to North America it adapted to
      the climate readily, and the natives took to using it
      regularly.
      Do Not confuse this plant with Black Nightshade (aka
      Wild Tomato, or Solanum nigrum) which is highly
      poisonous.

      Some other weeds that were used in Ukrainian cooking
      on a regular basis...

      Sorrel (Rumex acetosella & related species of
      Polygonacae)
      This is sour & slighly acidic and was commonly used
      in Borsch

      Nettles (Urtica dioica)
      Again used like spinach, as a green

      Hope this gives you more then what you need.
      -Kataryna

      > Ok, I got this in the email from someone recently,
      > and it's got me
      > scratching my head: "I am Ukrainian ... and I have
      > been pondering this
      > one for years. My grandmother used to pick a wild
      > plant which she used
      > in cooking ... it was very similar to spinach. She
      > called it "natena",
      > and she often cooked it with cornmeal and fried
      > onions. This was long
      > ago, and I never learned what this plant's english
      > name is. Do you have
      > any idea? I would be so grateful if you have any
      > suggestions." Any ideas?
      >
      > -- Jadwiga
      > -- -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
      > jenne@...

    • Thomas Huber
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
        Hello, I am new, so bear with me.

        I am looking into making a Kievan Over Coat. It is
        from the 10th Century, around 904-905c.e. I am going
        to embroider it and I also want to embellish it with
        beads. What color glass beads are in style / period,
        and are the traslucent or opaque? Also is it true that
        during this time period Pearls were also in great use
        for embellishing and jewelery?

        -Thomas (Bjorn "Axemoor" Blunder) Huber

        =====
        http://www.meregeeks.com/ .WEBCOMIC

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Marina
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 11, 2004
          Hi everyone

          I find this conversation on weeds somewhat interesting as I had never heard of
          pigweed being called lambsquarters in my life as they are two distinctly
          different weeds in Ontario.  My Ukrainian grandmother used lambsquarters all
          the time to make a soup that my brothers adored.   Pigsweed was never used to
          feed people.  That being said if the pigs got weeds to eat then they got all
          of the weeds not select ones.   Growing up on a farm with a large garden let
          me learn the names of all common weeds as it was the one chore I detested
          above all others - I hated getting dirty.

          Anyways, for me pigsweed was a dark green weed that when it seeded had a large
          pointy, scratchy, tassle on top.   It's roots were pink.  It was a straight
          weed without a lot of branching and could grow quite high.  Leaves were more
          spherical and pointy.

          The lambsquarters on the other hand had quite thin leaves that had many little
          points on them.  There was more moisture in this particular weed.  The leaves
          were a nice shade of green on the top and the back of the leaves and stem
          were a silvery white which could be rubbed away but running your fingers over
          it.  The seeds were tiny little pale green balls - similar to ragweed seeds
          (which had yellow in them) and were two shades of green.  These particular
          weeds had a very spread out root system and it didn't matter if the ground
          was wet or dry.  Very often when pulling them out they broke close to the
          ground and then it was the devil's own time getting the rest of the root out.
          My grandmother only used young tender plants for this soup.  She also made
          sorrel leaf soup.

          I have gone a little further with this thought and looked for some images on
          the web that will better show what I was trying to describe.  The first url
          is what I know of as lambsquarters:

          http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?pname=lambsquarters

          The next two urls depict pigsweed:

          http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/crpsl2/s80.pdf

          http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amare.htm

          That being said I saw on two encyclopedia sites listing lambsquarters and
          pigweed in the same family.  So I just called my grandmother to ask her.  She
          told me that the two weeds were different and that natena to her was
          lambsquarters only.  She prepared them the following way:

          Pick, wash, blanch and strain the greens.
          Fry bacon, onion and garlic until bacon is almost cooked.  Add the greens and
          cook through until tender.
          Serve it forth.

          My grandmother also told me that her grandmother and great-grandmother
          prepared their greens this way and the her family called them "wolloc" (I
          have no idea how to spell this) but the Ukrainian familys on either side of
          hers called this type of greens natena.  My grandmother grew up in Northern
          Manitoba in the Mossy River region which is reasonably close to Dauphin,
          Manitoba home of a major Canadian Ukrainian Festival.

          Sorry for the length of this posting.  I just found that the different regions
          of Canada had different names for pretty much the same thing and thought I
          would share what I found out about it.

          Marina

        • R.J. Clarke
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2004
            Greetings!

            I'm glad I read this message.

            I have Lamb's quarter that grows in my garden (I live north of Ottawa,
            Ontario) and I had been told it was edible, but had doubts.

            Guess I will have to check out this book.

            You never know what you can learn here.

            Thanks.

            Gospodar Robert
            R.J.
            audax et celer

            >Natena is pig weed (according to my Uncle, a older
            >Ukrainian farmer).
            >
            >Pig weed is also called Lambs Quarters, fat hen, and
            >it's Latin name is Chenopodium album.
          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
              Greetings!

              > I'm glad I read this message.
              > I have Lamb's quarter that grows in my garden (I live north of Ottawa,
              > Ontario) and I had been told it was edible, but had doubts.
              > Guess I will have to check out this book.
              > You never know what you can learn here.

              Gee... I contacted my biologist friends and sent them the latin name of the plant. You never can tell - that "Natena" is the simple Lebeda. The well-known food replicant. Mainly it was added to bread dough in hungry years (all along Russia), but also it is stated as a traditional Finnish "greens", along with stinging-nettle. At least, such is the statement by either Pokhlyobkin or the theses of the scientific conference "National nutrition patterns" I once referred to here. Can't say which one of them or even if they both say so - need to be back home for that.

              Bye,
              Alex
            • Susan Koziel
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
                Hi,
                Actually in the world of Botany the common names of
                plants tend to be quite regional (Both the names
                lambsquarters and pigweed are considered common
                names).
                The Latin or scientific names of the plant are
                actually the only thing that distinguishes them.
                Pigweed is the common name for a specific plant
                family, and in some areas it is a also indicative of a
                particular variety of Chenopodium.

                I included the latin name so that you could track
                down the exact plant I was speaking of.

                Both my mom (grew up in Northern Alberta), and my
                Uncle (Northern Saskatchewan) call the same plant
                pigweed, and distinguish it from other weeds that
                you'd feed the pigs. It also happens to be the plant
                that you are calling lambs quarters.
                :)

                Here is the list of common names that are used for
                Lamb's Quarters: Goosefoot, Mutton chops, Pigweed,
                Fat-Hen, and Wild Spinach. My understanding from the
                book I have in front of me (which is the one from my
                orginal email) is that any of the related species of
                Chenopodiaceae can be eaten by humans. But not to
                confuse it with Black nightshade (aka wild tomato aka
                Solanum nigrum)

                Also, all of the varieties of Lambs quarters (of
                which there are many) are imports from Europe, and not
                actually native to North America.

                :)
                It also probably has a lot to do with which area of
                the Ukraine they were from as well as which area of
                Canada they settled as to what they call the plant.

                The whole common name problem is a huge hurdle for
                anyone who works in the field of botany, or related
                agricultural fields... some days it makes me twitch -
                my dad's a botanist and I'm an agricultural
                geneticist, and we have different names for things.
                :)

                I have a reprint of a late 1500's early 1600's English
                Botany text at home... I'll go into it and see if I
                can give you some period info on the plant once I get
                home (I'm visiting my parents this weekend)
                -Kataryna

                PS: a quick modern recipe for the interested:
                Lamb's-Quarters and Bacon
                Dice 2 strips of bacon and fry until crisp. Remove all
                fat from the pan except 1 tbsp, add 1 cup washed
                chopped lamb's quarters leaves. Fry until leaves are
                tender 3-5 minutes. Serves 1
              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                  X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

                  Fresh-water pearls were very popular for embellishing garments in Kievan Rus.
                  Glass beads were also popular. Ibn Fadlan mentions that green beads were
                  particularly prized by the Rus ladies, but I have not seen that verified
                  anywhere else. I have seen blue, yellow, green, black with yellow
                  stripes/squiggles, millefiore, amber, black with white stripes/squiggles,
                  transluscent crystal, transluscent yellow, yellow with red stripes, etc. glass
                  beads from the Novgorod excavations.

                  Jewelry used enameling, filigree, pearls, some jewels (rough cabochen cut, of
                  course).

                  Rus ornament is a huge, slippery subject, but I hope this helps get you
                  started.

                  In Service,
                  Sofya la Rus

                  ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
                  ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
                  ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
                • Marina
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                    Thanks for the further elucidation.  I find all the different names
                    fascinating.  I wonder what the taste differences are between the different
                    varieties.  Guess I will wait till summer and then raid the weeds growing in
                    my parents garden (I live 10 floors up in downtown Ottawa - no weeds - gosh
                    darn!)

                    Thanks again
                    Marina

                  • Thomas Huber
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2004
                      Thanks for the Kievan bead answers, that was actually
                      a lot of help. I have some other questions now.

                      First: What kind of clothes designs am I looking at
                      for kiev in 900 b.c.e.? I am not shure what it correct
                      for my time period in Kiev (Kyiv).

                      Second: I am aslo looking for underwear designs. I
                      have some undergarment instructions, but they are
                      mainly from the 13th Century.

                      Thanks for all your help so far and in the future. It
                      has been extreemly welcomed.

                      -Bjorn Blundr

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                        Greetings!

                        > Thanks for the Kievan bead answers, that was actually
                        > a lot of help. I have some other questions now.
                        > First: What kind of clothes designs am I looking at
                        :-)
                        > for kiev in 900 b.c.e.? I am not shure what it correct
                        > for my time period in Kiev (Kyiv).
                        It all depends on what direction your persona is looking. Early Kiev was 1) rather cosmopolitan-looking, as 2) it was standing on a very old trade route from the (today) central Russia to the Balcans and Mediterranean. It was also on teh weay from the Steppe (Mongolia to Hungary) to European woods. Thus, it borrowed a lot from the Steppe and fom the tradeers that passed it. Thus, steppe (Turcic), oriental (Arabic & Persian), Nortern (Scandinavian & Finnish), European (Frankish) and Balcan (Bulgarian and Byzantian) motifs. It's you to make the salad, just choose the ingredients.

                        > Second: I am aslo looking for underwear designs. I
                        > have some undergarment instructions, but they are
                        > mainly from the 13th Century.

                        Afair it's not the case in the 9 century. Underwear was the same pattern wear. Simply two pants worn together, in cold weather. The same with shirts. No bras, of course :-)
                        Changes in all that took place later (btw, "undergarment of 13 century" marked the need for it, as the climate changed, which led, say, to blocking of inter-Atlantic routes and desolation of Viking settlements in the New World and Greenland - and in the 9 century the climate was quite opposite, The Minor Climatic Optimum), and (imho + some research) the underwear patterns used to be a little more obsolete pattern of the everyday apparel.

                        Bye,
                        Alex
                      • Danks Cole
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                          To anyone in or near the Toronto area....there is an exibit at the Royal
                          Ontario Museum called 'Pearls' that has a Russian gown with 100,000
                          pearls beaded into it.... it was most spectacular.....

                          Vlakh

                          [Clip your posts, please. --Moderator]
                        • Susan Koziel
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                            I'd assume that different varieties could have vastly
                            different tastes... Broccoli & Cauliflower both are
                            varieties of Brassica oleracea
                            -Kataryna

                          • Susan Koziel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                              Hi,
                              From another list I found that Pigweed is also used
                              for Amaranthus retroflexus (aka red root)
                              http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amare.htm

                              This, from what I've found is not edible.

                              Here's a picture of the edible Pigweed/Lambs Quarters
                              http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/cheal.htm
                              -Kataryna
                            • Susan Koziel
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                                Also here's
                                Solanum nigrum
                                http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/solni.htm
                                The poisonous one, for reference
                                -Kataryna
                              • Tat'ianna Radokovaia Codlin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 15, 2004
                                  A picture of it would be wonderful for us poor souls that don't live near
                                  Toronto.