indo-slavic affinities

  • Tatra
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2004
      hello!
      as an artist painter i travel around many Slavic countries. to my
      pleasant surprise I found many words with close affinity to sanskrit
      exist in many Slavic languages.The word Boh or Bog in slovak or
      Russian has a similar word Bhag which also means god. the word for
      death in slovak is mrtvy which again has a word very similar from
      sanskrit mrtyu. Sucha is another word which is the same in sansrit
      and means dry. in Romania the word for water is apa which is the same
      word in sanskrit and means water. the proto-indo slavic languages
      emerged from the same roots some sevean -eight thousands years before.
      i would be interested if some of you can help me to learn more about
      the history and relation of proto-slavic and Indic language of yore.
      this will help in writing my novel wherein i wish to explore the
      ancient link between India and the slavic tribes.
      thanks
      Vijay