Re: [sig] Looking for a green from the Ukraine?

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8 12:46 PM
      I will find out a get back to you. Someone in the
      community here has to know it.
      -Kataryna

      --- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      <jenne@...> wrote:

      > I got this question via email. Anyone have any
      > ideas?
      >
      > "I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this
      > one for years. My
      > grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used
      > in cooking ... it
      > was very similar to spinach. She called it
      > "natena", and she often
      > cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions. This was
      > long ago, and I
      > never learned what this plant's english name is. Do
      > you have any idea?
      > I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions.
      > "
      >
      > --
      > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
      > jenne@...
      > "In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his
      > trade
      > And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid
      > him down
      > Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his
      > shame,
      > 'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still
      > remains."

    • Patrick Levesque
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8 4:27 PM
        On 08/11/04 15:19, "Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise"
        <jenne@...> wrote:

        > I got this question via email. Anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > "I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this one for years. My
        > grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used in cooking ... it
        > was very similar to spinach. She called it "natena", and she often
        > cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions. This was long ago, and I
        > never learned what this plant's english name is. Do you have any idea?
        > I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions. "

        Hi Jadwiga! I don't know Ukrainian, but could the plant possibly by orache?
        It is very similar to spinach, and is probably available in Ukraine (I
        believe it does show up in neighboring Moldavia).

        Petru