Looking for a green from the Ukraine?

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      I got this question via email. Anyone have any ideas?

      "I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this one for years. My
      grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used in cooking ... it
      was very similar to spinach. She called it "natena", and she often
      cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions. This was long ago, and I
      never learned what this plant's english name is. Do you have any idea?
      I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions. "

      "In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
      And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
      Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
      'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."
    • Susan Koziel
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
        I will find out a get back to you. Someone in the
        community here has to know it.
        -Kataryna

        <jenne@...> wrote:

        > I got this question via email. Anyone have any
        > ideas?
        >
        > "I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this
        > one for years. My
        > grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used
        > in cooking ... it
        > was very similar to spinach. She called it
        > "natena", and she often
        > cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions. This was
        > long ago, and I
        > never learned what this plant's english name is. Do
        > you have any idea?
        > I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions.
        > "
        >
        > --
        > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
        > jenne@...
        > "In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his
        > trade
        > And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid
        > him down
        > Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his
        > shame,
        > 'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still
        > remains."

      • Patrick Levesque
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
          On 08/11/04 15:19, "Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise"
          <jenne@...> wrote:

          > I got this question via email. Anyone have any ideas?
          >
          > "I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this one for years. My
          > grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used in cooking ... it
          > was very similar to spinach. She called it "natena", and she often
          > cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions. This was long ago, and I
          > never learned what this plant's english name is. Do you have any idea?
          > I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions. "

          Hi Jadwiga! I don't know Ukrainian, but could the plant possibly by orache?
          It is very similar to spinach, and is probably available in Ukraine (I
          believe it does show up in neighboring Moldavia).

          Petru