A question on an odd topic

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2004
      Greetings!

      I am going to ask a question, and I am totally serious
      about this; I belong to a list started because a bunch
      of us (all ladies) wanted to collect and organize
      information on the clothing styles, colors, and
      patterns that were used to indicate that one was a
      prostitute, camp-follower, and others of similar
      profession. Our hope is to find interesting
      information on the different cultures' uses of things
      like the striped skirts that indicated a whore in
      I-forget-what-time-period, and also tid-bits like the
      "follow-me" sandals of some ancient greek prostitutes.
      If anyone know of anything in this vein regarding
      eastern europe and is willing to share it, please
      speak up. If you know anything for another region,
      and you think it inappropriate to post it here, feel
      free to post me privately.

      Thank you
      Eluned

      =====

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

      http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas for all you Southeastern science fiction fans!

      for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

      http://vote.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
        'dak here:
        I've been looking for this ionforation for tears
        concerning Russia and Eastern Europe but have
        unsuccessful, so far.....mostly I'm hampered by
        inability to read Russian and the pure volume of
        Soviet era research, all of which was politically
        reactive.
        I definitely second this search and humbly ask
        that if anyone on our beloved SIG list hhas any info.
        on these subjects, please share with the "class".
        After all. history and cultures happened in the
        shadows too.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
          spell check would have helped ....
          --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

          > 'dak here:
          > I've been looking for this ionforation for tears
          > concerning Russia and Eastern Europe but have
          > unsuccessful, so far.....mostly I'm hampered by
          > inability to read Russian and the pure volume of
          > Soviet era research, all of which was politically
          > reactive.
          > I definitely second this search and humbly ask
          > that if anyone on our beloved SIG list hhas any
          > info.
          > on these subjects, please share with the "class".
          > After all. history and cultures happened in the
          > shadows too.
          >
          > --- Tracy Kremer <eluned_p@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings!
          > >
          > > I am going to ask a question, and I am totally
          > > serious
          > > about this; I belong to a list started because a
          > > bunch
          > > of us (all ladies) wanted to collect and organize
          > > information on the clothing styles, colors, and
          > > patterns that were used to indicate that one was a
          > > prostitute, camp-follower, and others of similar
          > > profession. Our hope is to find interesting
          > > information on the different cultures' uses of
          > > things
          > > like the striped skirts that indicated a whore in
          > > I-forget-what-time-period, and also tid-bits like
          > > the
          > > "follow-me" sandals of some ancient greek
          > > prostitutes.
          > > If anyone know of anything in this vein regarding
          > > eastern europe and is willing to share it, please
          > > speak up. If you know anything for another
          > region,
          > > and you think it inappropriate to post it here,
          > feel
          > > free to post me privately.
          > >
          > > Thank you
          > > Eluned
          > >
          > > =====
          > >
          > > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New
          > Age,
          > > and all lovers of amber and semiprecious
          > > stones...silver only, no gold.
          > >
          > > http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas for all you
          > > Southeastern science fiction fans!
          > >
          > > for good webcomics!
          > http://www.schlockmercenary.com
          > > http://www.kevinandkell.com

          > > http://vote.yahoo.com

          > http://vote.yahoo.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Yana
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
            At 11:16 AM 10/25/2004, you wrote:

            >spell check would have helped ....<snip>

            So would clipping your posts.......

            --Yana :-)
          • Danks Cole
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
              I know that in England an adult woman with loose curly hair would have
              been marked as a prostitute, I am unsure of the time period however....

              Vlakh

              [Clip your posts, please. Moderator]
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
                OK Mom...
                --- Yana <yana@...> wrote:

                > At 11:16 AM 10/25/2004, you wrote:
                >
                > >spell check would have helped ....<snip>
                >

                > So would clipping your posts.......
                >

                > --Yana :-)

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2004
                  > I know that in England an adult woman with loose curly hair would have
                  > been marked as a prostitute, I am unsure of the time period however....

                  Hm... I don't know of any documentation for that, though calling someone
                  a 'loose woman' is a common slur in English. However, the looseness
                  generally referrs to appendages below the waist. :)

                  Sybil: "Have you been upsetting people?"
                  Vimes: "I think I may let people upset themselves."
                  Sybil: "Good for you. You do that so well." -- Terry Pratchett
                • MoxFool@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
                    In a message dated 10/28/2004 6:18:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    jenne@... writes:
                    Hm... I don't know of any documentation for that, though calling someone
                    a 'loose woman' is a common slur in English. However, the looseness
                    generally referrs to appendages below the waist. :)

                    Yeah, but they only get that way as you age :D

                    Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, House Griffin's Moon, Katski's Pulk
                    Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, The Shire of Talonval
                    Student of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R., Sword Brother
                    Politics: Latin, meaning Poly (many) tics (blood sucking vermin)