Standing collar for tunic?

  • Mikhail Nikolaev
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
      Now I realize this will probably involve cutting corners and I apologize
      to any who might find offense for it.

      As it is my first Russian/Slav themed tunic I am looking for some
      guidance. From what I've seen in the various pages online, the russian
      shirts look like a t-tunic with a raised neck, and as my first attempt
      I'm hoping to keep it historic-ish instead of a museam replica.

      So how do you do it? How can one keep the collar upright? Is it simply
      from snugness to neck or is it a stiffer fabric, something else?

      Thanks,
      Mikhail Nikolaev
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
        shape it like a banana, the longer edge matching the
        measurement of your neck, plus seam allowance. If you
        slump, put the very back edge of your neckhole cut-out
        for the collar at where the shoulder seem is, or would
        be. If you have ramrod straight posture, move that
        back edge back 1".
        'dak, MK Russian costumer

        --- Mikhail Nikolaev <mikhail@...> wrote:

        > Now I realize this will probably involve cutting
        > corners and I apologize
        > to any who might find offense for it.
        >
        > As it is my first Russian/Slav themed tunic I am
        > looking for some
        > guidance. From what I've seen in the various pages
        > online, the russian
        > shirts look like a t-tunic with a raised neck, and
        > as my first attempt
        > I'm hoping to keep it historic-ish instead of a
        > museam replica.
        >
        > So how do you do it? How can one keep the collar
        > upright? Is it simply
        > from snugness to neck or is it a stiffer fabric,
        > something else?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mikhail Nikolaev

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Jeanne
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
          I went to Joann's and looked in their dollar patterns for a pattern with a
          mandarin collar and use that for my base.

          VÖRÖSHAJÚ SOFFYA
          three fleur-de-lys Or
          Order of St. Roche
          Incipient Canton of Sudentur
          Barony of Stierbach
          Kingdom of Atlantia
          http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole

        • Denise M Robbins
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
            I would recommend using interfacing on your collar. That's what I did to
            my Lord's and beaded the collar as well, and it still stands beautifully,
            even after washing several times. Be sure to curve the collar, a
            rectangle will not work.

            Natal'ia Diekova Zhena Rabynovicha
            Shire of Granite Mountain
            Kingdom of Atenveldt
          • Mikhail Nikolaev
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2004
              Thank you all for input, I think I am going to end up using interfacing.
              I spoke with a seamstress at our Barony meeting last night and she gave
              me several good tips.

              -- Mikhail

              Denise M Robbins wrote:
              > I would recommend using interfacing on your collar. That's what I did to
              > my Lord's and beaded the collar as well, and it still stands beautifully,
              > even after washing several times. Be sure to curve the collar, a
              > rectangle will not work.
              >
              > Natal'ia Diekova Zhena Rabynovicha
              > Shire of Granite Mountain
              > Kingdom of Atenveldt
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Danks Cole
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2004
                Thank you for the rectangle warning...that is what I was considering.....

                Has anybody tried an all bead collar? I'm referring to those iddy-bitty
                seed beads...

                Vlakh
              • Denise M Robbins
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2004
                  I did bead the collar of my husbands tunic and it worked great with the
                  interfacing. It is not fully beaded, but does have 5 large medallions
                  going around the collar, and the beads are larger than seed beads. He
                  has not had a problem with it falling or flopping over at all. I also
                  used a good linen, and I do not dry it in the dryer, I hang it upside
                  down to dry.

                  Natal'ia Diekova zhena Rabynovicha
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2004
                    if you want to do some of the late14th to mid 15th C
                    Polish houppelande (?) collars, then a rectangle
                    shaped collar on an angled keyhole collar works.