Recipe for Pieroshgie.

  • sarah_brooks33
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      Recipe for Pieroshgie.

      I'll apologise in advance for the lack of professional sounding
      culinary jargon – they are fun to make and more fun to eat, and
      cooking, contrary to popular belief, is NOT an exact science. If
      you don't have, or like, an ingredient, feel free to substitute it
      with something you DO like (ie: cherries for apples and ground
      turkey for the pork)… Feel free to e-mail or call me with questions
      if you are trying this and having difficulty.
      sarahbrooks@... 203/345-6728 Eastern Time, USA.(CT)

      The whole thing went over well at John Barleycorn and we also made
      some period (15th C)apple fritters, which were a HUGE success and
      are very yummy, but English, so if you want that recipe, e-mail me.

      Bread dough: (it is perfectly okay to use any bread dough you like,
      but this is the one we prefer)

      1 cup scalded milk
      1/8 cup sugar
      3 tablespoons melted butter
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 package dry yeast, or 1 cake compressed
      ¼ cup warm water
      1 egg
      3 cups flour, give or take. I like to use no more than 20% whole
      wheat or rye flour with white bread flour. It is enough to give it
      some texture, but not so much that it's a heavy wheat dough.

      Dissolve the yeast in the water, which should be a little warmer
      than body temperature, with the sugar. If it blooms and foams, it
      is good and active. If not, throw it out and start with another
      batch of yeast. This should take about 10 minutes.

      If it is good yeast, add all the wet ingredients to that bowl, and
      mix well all the dry ingredients in a large bowl or on a board.
      Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet
      ones till it is a moderate dough. (not too soft, nor too firm).

      Knead well and let rise, covered, till it doubles, or holds an
      impression when you push on it. This usually takes a few hours.

      Smash it down and roll it into a log to be cut into smaller pieces
      for shaping and filling.

      While the dough is rising, make your fillings.

      I like:

      Meat filling:
      Equal portions ground beef and pork (say, half a pound each)
      An onion, minced fine
      Some salt and pepper
      Parsley- chopped fine
      Fry till browned, drain off the grease and dust with a bit of flour
      and add a little chicken broth to make a gravy which sortof binds
      the meat but is not wet.

      Mushroom filling:
      A pound of hearty field mushrooms if you can get them, otherwise, a
      mixture of some flavourful ones from the market.
      An onion, minced
      A little oil
      Some salt and pepper
      Parsley – chopped fine
      Fry till browned, dust with a little flour and add some chicken
      broth to bind it in a thick sauce.

      Fruit Filling:
      Take a pound or so of any fruit and boil with about a cup of sugar
      and some cinnamon and nutmeg till it is soft and cooked.
      Add a little corn starch mixed with water to bind it into a thicker
      filling. Apples usually require no corn starch, and I prefer to
      bake the fruit fillings in the oven – especially if it is apple or
      pear – but stove top works fine, too.

      Nut Filling:
      Process any combination of nuts with sugar till ground finely (I use
      a food processor – you can pound it with a mortar and pestle if you
      are feeling truly period) and boil in a little honey till it's a
      thick paste.

      Cabbage and Potato Filling:
      Take a small head of cabbage and slice it finely into salt water and
      set aside.
      Fry in a pan with oil a potato cut small, with an onion, also cut
      small, and possibly a carrots or parsnip till cooked through and
      starting to brown.
      Drain the cabbage, add to the fried mixture and cover.
      Stir often to prevent burning, and simmer till it's all cooked
      together into a sortof cabbage mash.
      Salt and pepper to taste.

      Now that you have fillings and dough balls, take a small ball of
      dough, roughly 2" around, and flatten it into a disk, which covers
      the palm of one hand.

      Take a couple of spoons of filling and put that in the center of the
      disk, then pull the edges together to make a pouch with sealed edges
      enclosing the filling. Place this on baking parchment, seam side
      down, and shape it into a nice little oval thing no more than 4
      inches long and 2 inches wide, and sortof flat-ish –( like a large
      version of those candy eggs at Easter time in the USA). If you are
      working with several fillings, be sure you make some dough squiggles
      or something on the tops to mark them as Meat or Fruit, or
      whatever. Otherwise, you have surprise pieroshgie – which is fine,
      but not usually the goal….

      When you have filled all your dough, mix an egg and a little cream
      and brush the tops of them so that they will be nice when they are
      cooked, and let them stand for a bit while the oven preheats.

      Bake them at about 375-400degrees till they are golden and yummy
      looking. That's somewhere between 20-45 minutes, usually.

      Enjoy with compote (fruit boiled in water with sugar, cooled and
      served in a glass (it's a beverage)). Salt cucumbers (which can be
      purchased if you can't be bothered to make them – usually in the
      polish food section and labeled something like cucumbers in brine.
      (the very small very bright green pickles with less dill in the
      fridge section, labeled half sours are also fine).
      Salt mushrooms (same section, same type of labeling).