how to contact with Trevor from SCA in Wroclaw(PL)?

  • Wojciech Wilk
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi,
      I lost his email. Can you help me?

      Wojciech from Krakow, POland
    • Jeff Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
        Trevor's contact info:

        http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/groups/faraway.htm

        Janos

        JEFFREY C. SMITH

        "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the
        timid." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953 (at his Inaugural address)

      • Elysska z Turnow
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
          a long long time ago this request was posted:

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
          I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

          > Dekuju!
          > Václav z Rokycan
          ------
          SO... here is my belated answer:

          I've only got sources for 14th century - my period. And unfortunately
          they mainly focus on women. (sorry!)

          Because in the fourteenth century, Prague was the seat of the holy
          roman empire, it was extremely cosmopolitan. A university town full of
          french, italian, english, germans, czechs and czech-germans, there
          was a variety of styles. There was a sort of international style that
          people seemed to have followed. However the impression I've got from
          the below sources is that the 14th century czechs were very
          flamboyant, favouring embellished and apparently exagerrated fashion.
          My interest hasn't really extended post-hussite, so i'm not sure how
          those wars affected dress in the social strata. A lot of this study is
          piecework - a phrase here, a note there, compiling all the comments to
          get a complete image.

          It's valuable to look at the czech artists - a lot of art can be
          viewed at the Web Gallery of Art http://www.wga.hu/index1.html, and
          there are a lot of czech artists on there that you can look into. Look
          into International Gothic style and you'll find loads of czechs.

          Now... on to the References:

          Sronkova, Olga. Gothic Woman's Fashion. Prague: Artia.

          Drobná, Zoroslava. Les Tresors de la Broderie Religieuse en
          Tchecoslovaquie. [Wloszczowski] Prague, Sfinx, 1950. 63 p. plates
          (part col.), a small volume with about 27 pages of French language
          text relevant to our period. Plates are gorgeous. this book describes
          embellishment. I have translated the relevant section on beading in
          the fourteenth century, not anything further however. it covers
          secular and religious embroidery.

          Drobná, Zoroslava. Gothic drawing Translated by Jean Layton. Prague, :
          Artia [195-]. Line drawings and unfinished illuminations from late
          14th century Czech manuscripts and sketchbooks. Excellent source
          material, unusual/rarely seen images - including a fascinating series
          of occupational dress illustrations - 14th century tavern-keeper,
          bathhouse girl, miller etc etc.

          Newton, Stella Mary. Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince: a study
          of the years 1340-65. Woodbridge: Boydell Press; Totowa, NJ: Rowman
          and Littlefield,1980. 157p. Index and bibliography. ISBN 0847669394.
          Newton describes regional differences including a long discussion of
          the frilled or goffered veil and its popularity in Bohemia.

          Medieval Costume, Armour, and Weapons
          by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik. Dover Publications,
          2001. This book has line drawings copied from czech miniatures,
          illuminations and other artwork. If you have been looking at medieval
          czech art (i have references for that, too), you will be familiar with
          most of these images, but the helpful thing is that Wagner has
          organized them into topics - a whole page of belt-purses, a whole page
          of knives, etc etc, so you can view the variations on this without
          having to actually do as I was doing before getting this book: tracing
          the art. Only comment on this is WATCH out for drawings of people who
          might actually have originally been illustrated as angels (now taken
          out of context). Their clothes are usually not representative of what
          was actually worn but rather a fantasy of finery. I usually note any
          outfit that looks out of place, unusual in length or decoration, and
          try to find other examples of the same style, shown in a secular
          environment.

          Boucher, Francois. 20,000 Years of Fashion - The History of Costume &
          Personal Adornment. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1962. FA RF RM
          391.09 B75h1 Pretty standard general history of costume. Is a decent
          introduction to costume history. Divides medieval Europe into
          western and eastern regions, does not cover east central europe,
          however. Boucher "is honorary curator of Musee Carnavalet and
          director of french center for costume studies."

          With hopes of having helped,

          Elysska
        • D and L Potucek
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
            "With hopes of having helped,

            Elysska"

            My lady you most certainly have. Thank you very much.

            Václav