Re: 14th to 16th Century Bohemian Dress

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
      Medieval Costume, Armour and Weapons Wagner, Eduard Drobna, Zoroslava
      & Durdik, Jan Softcover Dover Publications, Inc. Mineola, NY

      This has lots of Czech stuff. It is a collection of line drawings
      based on period artwork. If nothing else it will point you to useful
      artwork.

      Ron

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
      I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

      > Dekuju!
      > Václav z Rokycan

    • Wojciech Wilk
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hi,
        I lost his email. Can you help me?

        Wojciech from Krakow, POland
      • Jeff Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
          Trevor's contact info:

          http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/groups/faraway.htm

          Janos

          JEFFREY C. SMITH

          "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the
          timid." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953 (at his Inaugural address)

        • Elysska z Turnow
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
            a long long time ago this request was posted:

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
            > Hello All,
            >
            > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
            I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

            > Dekuju!
            > Václav z Rokycan
            ------
            SO... here is my belated answer:

            I've only got sources for 14th century - my period. And unfortunately
            they mainly focus on women. (sorry!)

            Because in the fourteenth century, Prague was the seat of the holy
            roman empire, it was extremely cosmopolitan. A university town full of
            french, italian, english, germans, czechs and czech-germans, there
            was a variety of styles. There was a sort of international style that
            people seemed to have followed. However the impression I've got from
            the below sources is that the 14th century czechs were very
            flamboyant, favouring embellished and apparently exagerrated fashion.
            My interest hasn't really extended post-hussite, so i'm not sure how
            those wars affected dress in the social strata. A lot of this study is
            piecework - a phrase here, a note there, compiling all the comments to
            get a complete image.

            It's valuable to look at the czech artists - a lot of art can be
            viewed at the Web Gallery of Art http://www.wga.hu/index1.html, and
            there are a lot of czech artists on there that you can look into. Look
            into International Gothic style and you'll find loads of czechs.

            Now... on to the References:

            Sronkova, Olga. Gothic Woman's Fashion. Prague: Artia.

            Drobná, Zoroslava. Les Tresors de la Broderie Religieuse en
            Tchecoslovaquie. [Wloszczowski] Prague, Sfinx, 1950. 63 p. plates
            (part col.), a small volume with about 27 pages of French language
            text relevant to our period. Plates are gorgeous. this book describes
            embellishment. I have translated the relevant section on beading in
            the fourteenth century, not anything further however. it covers
            secular and religious embroidery.

            Drobná, Zoroslava. Gothic drawing Translated by Jean Layton. Prague, :
            Artia [195-]. Line drawings and unfinished illuminations from late
            14th century Czech manuscripts and sketchbooks. Excellent source
            material, unusual/rarely seen images - including a fascinating series
            of occupational dress illustrations - 14th century tavern-keeper,
            bathhouse girl, miller etc etc.

            Newton, Stella Mary. Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince: a study
            of the years 1340-65. Woodbridge: Boydell Press; Totowa, NJ: Rowman
            and Littlefield,1980. 157p. Index and bibliography. ISBN 0847669394.
            Newton describes regional differences including a long discussion of
            the frilled or goffered veil and its popularity in Bohemia.

            Medieval Costume, Armour, and Weapons
            by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik. Dover Publications,
            2001. This book has line drawings copied from czech miniatures,
            illuminations and other artwork. If you have been looking at medieval
            czech art (i have references for that, too), you will be familiar with
            most of these images, but the helpful thing is that Wagner has
            organized them into topics - a whole page of belt-purses, a whole page
            of knives, etc etc, so you can view the variations on this without
            having to actually do as I was doing before getting this book: tracing
            the art. Only comment on this is WATCH out for drawings of people who
            might actually have originally been illustrated as angels (now taken
            out of context). Their clothes are usually not representative of what
            was actually worn but rather a fantasy of finery. I usually note any
            outfit that looks out of place, unusual in length or decoration, and
            try to find other examples of the same style, shown in a secular
            environment.

            Boucher, Francois. 20,000 Years of Fashion - The History of Costume &
            Personal Adornment. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1962. FA RF RM
            391.09 B75h1 Pretty standard general history of costume. Is a decent
            introduction to costume history. Divides medieval Europe into
            western and eastern regions, does not cover east central europe,
            however. Boucher "is honorary curator of Musee Carnavalet and
            director of french center for costume studies."

            With hopes of having helped,

            Elysska
          • D and L Potucek
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
              "With hopes of having helped,

              Elysska"

              My lady you most certainly have. Thank you very much.

              Václav