14th to 16th Century Bohemian Dress

  • D and L Potucek
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2004
      Hello All,

      Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress? I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

      Dekuju!
      V�clav z Rokycan

    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
        Medieval Costume, Armour and Weapons Wagner, Eduard Drobna, Zoroslava
        & Durdik, Jan Softcover Dover Publications, Inc. Mineola, NY

        This has lots of Czech stuff. It is a collection of line drawings
        based on period artwork. If nothing else it will point you to useful
        artwork.

        Ron

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
        I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

        > Dekuju!
        > Václav z Rokycan

      • Wojciech Wilk
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi,
          I lost his email. Can you help me?

          Wojciech from Krakow, POland
        • Jeff Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
            Trevor's contact info:

            http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/groups/faraway.htm

            Janos

            JEFFREY C. SMITH

            "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the
            timid." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953 (at his Inaugural address)

          • Elysska z Turnow
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
              a long long time ago this request was posted:

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "D and L Potucek" <dpotucek@w...> wrote:
              > Hello All,
              >
              > Does anyone have any good resources for 14th to 16th Bohemian Dress?
              I have found a few isolated gems on line but nothing in print so far.

              > Dekuju!
              > Václav z Rokycan
              ------
              SO... here is my belated answer:

              I've only got sources for 14th century - my period. And unfortunately
              they mainly focus on women. (sorry!)

              Because in the fourteenth century, Prague was the seat of the holy
              roman empire, it was extremely cosmopolitan. A university town full of
              french, italian, english, germans, czechs and czech-germans, there
              was a variety of styles. There was a sort of international style that
              people seemed to have followed. However the impression I've got from
              the below sources is that the 14th century czechs were very
              flamboyant, favouring embellished and apparently exagerrated fashion.
              My interest hasn't really extended post-hussite, so i'm not sure how
              those wars affected dress in the social strata. A lot of this study is
              piecework - a phrase here, a note there, compiling all the comments to
              get a complete image.

              It's valuable to look at the czech artists - a lot of art can be
              viewed at the Web Gallery of Art http://www.wga.hu/index1.html, and
              there are a lot of czech artists on there that you can look into. Look
              into International Gothic style and you'll find loads of czechs.

              Now... on to the References:

              Sronkova, Olga. Gothic Woman's Fashion. Prague: Artia.

              Drobná, Zoroslava. Les Tresors de la Broderie Religieuse en
              Tchecoslovaquie. [Wloszczowski] Prague, Sfinx, 1950. 63 p. plates
              (part col.), a small volume with about 27 pages of French language
              text relevant to our period. Plates are gorgeous. this book describes
              embellishment. I have translated the relevant section on beading in
              the fourteenth century, not anything further however. it covers
              secular and religious embroidery.

              Drobná, Zoroslava. Gothic drawing Translated by Jean Layton. Prague, :
              Artia [195-]. Line drawings and unfinished illuminations from late
              14th century Czech manuscripts and sketchbooks. Excellent source
              material, unusual/rarely seen images - including a fascinating series
              of occupational dress illustrations - 14th century tavern-keeper,
              bathhouse girl, miller etc etc.

              Newton, Stella Mary. Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince: a study
              of the years 1340-65. Woodbridge: Boydell Press; Totowa, NJ: Rowman
              and Littlefield,1980. 157p. Index and bibliography. ISBN 0847669394.
              Newton describes regional differences including a long discussion of
              the frilled or goffered veil and its popularity in Bohemia.

              Medieval Costume, Armour, and Weapons
              by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik. Dover Publications,
              2001. This book has line drawings copied from czech miniatures,
              illuminations and other artwork. If you have been looking at medieval
              czech art (i have references for that, too), you will be familiar with
              most of these images, but the helpful thing is that Wagner has
              organized them into topics - a whole page of belt-purses, a whole page
              of knives, etc etc, so you can view the variations on this without
              having to actually do as I was doing before getting this book: tracing
              the art. Only comment on this is WATCH out for drawings of people who
              might actually have originally been illustrated as angels (now taken
              out of context). Their clothes are usually not representative of what
              was actually worn but rather a fantasy of finery. I usually note any
              outfit that looks out of place, unusual in length or decoration, and
              try to find other examples of the same style, shown in a secular
              environment.

              Boucher, Francois. 20,000 Years of Fashion - The History of Costume &
              Personal Adornment. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1962. FA RF RM
              391.09 B75h1 Pretty standard general history of costume. Is a decent
              introduction to costume history. Divides medieval Europe into
              western and eastern regions, does not cover east central europe,
              however. Boucher "is honorary curator of Musee Carnavalet and
              director of french center for costume studies."

              With hopes of having helped,

              Elysska
            • D and L Potucek
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
                "With hopes of having helped,

                Elysska"

                My lady you most certainly have. Thank you very much.

                Václav