Re: [sig] Novgorod Veche

  • aleannain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      Will this site help you?

      Life in 13th Century Novgorod -- Government and Law

    • Ben McGarr
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        <Posadnik@m...> wrote:
        > In 1990s the archaeologists at last found the remains of the Veche
        square. Surprisingly, it held the remains of oak benches - so Veche
        was much more a regular council than it was supposed before.

        What do we know of the veches in other Russian cities, I wonder? Of
        course Pskov had one, and Vyatka too, but it seems that all the old
        Slavonic cities had something of the kind. I even recall hearing of
        one in Kiev, in the earlier periods at least. When the Varyak
        Ryurikids started founding their own towns, they suspiciously seem to
        have neglected to include this element of town administration...

        Ben