Novgorod Veche

  • Mikhail Nikolaev
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8 6:14 PM
      What is known about the veche's of Novgorod? I've been doing reading and
      have not found a bunch of information regarding it, so perhaps someone
      could help me understand it further?

      I know the veche was a semi-democratic governing body of the city, often
      it was the true governing form and the Prince was only a figurehead. As
      I understand it, it was formed by the upperclass such as merchants and
      such, so at times the merchants felt threatened by the Prince and would
      push them from power by hiring mercenaries and such.

      So, what else can you all tell me about it?

      Thanks,
      Mikhail
    • aleannain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8 7:39 PM
        Will this site help you?

        Life in 13th Century Novgorod -- Government and Law

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9 1:37 AM
          Greetings!

          > What is known about the veche's of Novgorod? I've been doing reading and
          > have not found a bunch of information regarding it, so perhaps someone
          > could help me understand it further?

          > I know the veche was a semi-democratic governing body of the city, often
          Always.
          > it was the true governing form and the Prince was only a figurehead. As
          To be true, he was the warleader, while the head of the city was the Tysatsky - the trade and city life manager, "the Lord Mayor", I'd say.

          > I understand it, it was formed by the upperclass such as merchants and
          One of the Western chronicles, can't find teh reference right now, even called it "(forgot the correct number - some hundred, afair) golden belts".

          > such, so at times the merchants felt threatened by the Prince and would
          > push them from power by hiring mercenaries and such.

          Afair the city was free to push the Prince from power, and he little power to oppose it. Thus, some unpopular but beneficial (in military aspect) decision of the prince could be blocked. Alexander Nevsky was several times driven out of Novgorod.

          > So, what else can you all tell me about it?

          In 1990s the archaeologists at last found the remains of the Veche square. Surprisingly, it held the remains of oak benches - so Veche was much more a regular council than it was supposed before.

          Bye,
          Alex.
        • Ben McGarr
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9 5:17 AM
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            <Posadnik@m...> wrote:
            > In 1990s the archaeologists at last found the remains of the Veche
            square. Surprisingly, it held the remains of oak benches - so Veche
            was much more a regular council than it was supposed before.

            What do we know of the veches in other Russian cities, I wonder? Of
            course Pskov had one, and Vyatka too, but it seems that all the old
            Slavonic cities had something of the kind. I even recall hearing of
            one in Kiev, in the earlier periods at least. When the Varyak
            Ryurikids started founding their own towns, they suspiciously seem to
            have neglected to include this element of town administration...

            Ben