Krupnik Polski

  • Alzbeta Michalik
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      I was unpacking some things from Pennsic tonight, and I found my head
      which had apparently gotten detached (it's amazing the things you lose
      in the shuffle!) After putting it back on, I remembered that I had said
      I would post the recipe from my cordial that I brought to the SIG
      celebration. So, here it is:

      Polish Honey-Spice Cordial (krupnik polski)
      from "Polish Heritage Cookery" by Robert & Maria Strybel

      2 cups water
      1/2 vanilla pod
      1/2 stick cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
      10 - 12 whole cloves
      1 - 2 pinches mace
      1 tsp. grated orange rind
      2 cups honey
      4 cups 190 proof grain alcohol - alternatively use 100 proof vodka for a
      weaker version (which is what I used)

      In a small pot heat 1 cup of the water, vanilla pod, cinnamon, nutmeg,
      cloves, and mace. When the mixture is just about to boil, add the
      orange rind. Bring to a boil, then cover and set aside. Separately,
      bring to boil the honey and the remaining cup of water, skimming off the
      scum until no more forms. Remove from heat and turn off all heat
      sources. (WARNING: There should be no open flames around whenever
      pouring spirits, since the fumes will ignite.) Into the hot honey
      mixture, stir the spirits and the spice mixture including the spices.
      Pour into a clean jar, seal, and let stand overnight. Next day pour
      through cotton-filled funnel into bottle or serving carafe. It is often
      served hot but is also good at room temperature.

      Enjoy!
      Alzbeta