Re: [sig] Comments on a possible name

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      > > Russian (non-Xian) names tend to be ones like Bogdana, Liudmila, and
      > > Olga. Many of them have Norse roots. Others come from other local
      > > tribes. Christian names can be found in Lives of the Saints (although the
      > > Orthodox list is longer than the Catholics).
      > And of course there's a hierarchy of names: no merchant or jentry could call his children Vladimir, Olga or Svyatoslav.

      Yes, a kind Polish brewer and chemical engineer once wrote to me and
      pointed out that the name Jadwiga wasn't used outside the Piast family
      until at least the 16th century. *sigh*

      "If you have no faith in yourself, then have faith in the things
      you call truth. You know what must be done. You may not have courage
      or trust or understanding or the will to do it, but you know what must
      be done. You can't turn back. There is no answer behind you. You
      fear what you cannot name. So look at it and find a name for it.
      Turn your face forward and learn. Do what must be done." - McKillip