fabric question

  • Lente
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
      http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/shopping-shortcuts-just-arrived-home-decor-crewel.html

      Okay I have a chunk of fabric like these, was this type of fabric used in the slavic cultures at all? Just wondering if it becomes garb or a wall hanging.

      Kathws

    • A. Pincis
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
        Dear Lente,
        Assuming your fabric is
        "phoenixtextiles_1809_51134622", it looks nice... my
        humbe advice is make something with it anyway.
        As much as I bless my Latvian roots I wear/decorate
        with whatever is attractive - like all people always
        did.
        Patterns, designs etc. have since ancient times
        travelled - Caucasian rugs have similar symbols to
        Latvian 'raksti' - indeed arabic coins have been found
        in Latvia too.... my basic message is "If it fees good
        - do it, wear it!"
        Best Regards
        Harvey

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • aleannain@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
          Most of the fabric I have seen and read about and used the most used was
          brocade. I haven't heard of crewel being used...but I am doing more research on
          Russia and the principalities of the 14th century.

          Anushka

        • sarah_brooks33
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
            Kathws,
            In my own realm of knowledge, I've found that the fabrics you speak
            of can be documeted depending on the fiber contents and the colours
            used in the embroidery. Basically, the more colours that are used
            and the more intense the colour, the later the period.

            The reality is that crewel embroidery is a skill which requires an
            amazing amount of time to devote to it, and also requires a special
            punching tool in some methods. All of these things were things
            which could only be afforded by the very wealthy, (especially the
            time).

            Hence, a person of anything but the ruling classes would only have
            the time or materials to ever complete a small piece of this type of
            work, and it would be far more likely that a midwife would be gifted
            with a small piece upon the healthy delivery of a precious firstborn
            son, or some other such gift, given at a momentus occasion where the
            lesser born had proven service invaluable to his or her betters.

            The fabric would most likely be used in small peices as breast/chest
            decoration, and I'm giving you a link for dolls here, but the doll
            Dariya has such decoration of embroidery in the yoke of her over-
            dress. http://www.mingei.org/Rusdoll.html

            As you can see from the dolls, costume varies widely from region to
            region - the region represented by Dariya is in the area between
            Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod (formerly Gork'y).

            A more regular embroidery, using few colours in a less flowing
            pattern would be more common and available, although just as today,
            there were always renegade artists willing and ready to break the
            mold. The Slavic peoples are and always have been great admirers of
            those who are willing to break out and set a new standard, even if
            they may not personally be willing to do that all the time.

            I apologise for the length of this -

            Sasha
            mka - Sarah Brooks

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004

              http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/shopping-shortcuts-just-arrived-home-decor-crewel.html

              > Okay I have a chunk of fabric like these, was this
              > type of fabric used in the slavic cultures at all?
              > Just wondering if it becomes garb or a wall hanging.
              >
              > Kathws

              Maybe trim or yokes on shirts? If the patterns are
              linear enough. If not, cut out decorations for
              applique.

              Or just have plenty of tablecloths and runners! :D
              --smiles,
              --Sfandra Dmitrieva

              =====
              ******************
              Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
              Barony of Carolingia
              Kingdom of the East
              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Lente
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
                I'll have to take a look at it in the morning; its in the baby's room right
                now. Pattern wise its something like the amanda pastel one, its just not
                completely pastels. I have about 2 yards of it, I will have to think on what
                could be made of it; maybe a vest or lapels on a long coat. Definitely line
                it just because its itchy to me.

                Kathws

                Sasha sent:
                > In my own realm of knowledge, I've found that the fabrics you speak
                > of can be documeted depending on the fiber contents and the colours
                > used in the embroidery. Basically, the more colours that are used
                > and the more intense the colour, the later the period.
                <clipped>