Re: [sig] Re: Povoinik Pattern Anyone?

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
      X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

      I have seen two basic patterns for the povoinik. The simplest is a circle of
      fabric gathered onto a narrow fabric band that goes around the forehead to the
      back of the neck where it is tied. This works quite nicely with a mesh "knit"
      fabric substituted for the circle. (This mesh style is called the voloshnik).

      Another version I've seen requires 3 pieces of fabric. An oval piece to cover
      the top of the head, a narrow band attached to the edge of the oval piece to go
      horizontally around to the back of the head, plus a half-circle to hang down
      from the back of the narrow band and gathered at its edge to control the hair
      at the back of the neck.

      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html

      I'm sorry I don't have pattern sketches for you. Good luck.

      In service,
      Sofya la Rus

      ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
      ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
      ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
    • Lente
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
        I think this is the book I'm thinking of (if I remember the title sort of
        right); this show some black and white photos of some of the headresses, I
        like that fact that it shows several of the pearl drapes too, in fact one of
        them is not pearls but cut mother of pearl shell beads. check at you library
        for it. I just put a hold on my public library copy of this one and another
        of russian stuff so I will post a picture to the list files of the
        headresses and drapes I remember being in it.--kathws

        Embroidery of all Russia / by Mary Gostelow ;
        line ill. and designs drawn and executed by the author, maps by John E.
        Damsell.
        New York : Scribner, c1977. isbn 0684151847

        Subject: Re: [sig] Re: Povoinik Pattern Anyone?