Re: Slavic pantheons etc.

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10 2:23 AM
      > good luck all the same.

      I shall need it ;-)

      > I see your reasoning here, but isn't this perhaps
      > a rather modern division?

      To some extent yes, but... the fundamental question is reliability. I
      would define a deity (very crudely!) as a being worshipped in a
      sacred precinct/grove/temple, rather than at a domestic altar (for
      example). These are the deities who are more likely to enter the
      written (and of course archaeological) records.

      My personal opinion is that information regarding other 'lesser'
      beings is FAR more susceptible to distortion through the oral
      tradition, folklore and ultimately romaticism.

      I am quite happy to agree to disagree with anyone else about my
      criteria... but I doubt I shall be changing my approach!

      > old friends Yarilo, Kupalo and Kostroma/Kostrubunko.

      Well now, this is where we start running into problems.
      My 'Encyklopedie slovanskych bohu a mytu', for example, has Kupalo as
      the name of a *ceremony/ritual* of bathing, not a deity or other
      being, and the Kostroma as the name of a totem thrown into the water,
      and again not of a deity or other being. Just a thought.

      > That said, I'm surprised you've include Simargl, or
      > is this my modern over-classifying mind at work?

      Russian Primary Chronicle, I believe: worhsipped at Kieve c.980. Name
      probably related to the Iranian Senmurva/Simurga. Some see the root
      as Sedmuraglav ('7-headed') however, while others believe that there
      were originally two deities, Sem (protector of cattle) and Rgl
      (protector of grain), and justify their arguments from placenames
      like Rgielsko and Siemowit in Poland.

      > It may prove more involved than you expect!

      I am aiming at a basic primer, not a comprehensive encyclopedia!
      Besides, I like stir up a little controversy now and then, it wakes
      people up! *evil grin*

      Alastair
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10 2:27 AM
        Jadwiga/Jenne writes

        > Thank you!

        I haven't done it yet! ;-)

        And as Rick says, it's a very slippery subject... As I said to Ben,
        I'm only aiming at a basic primer, not a comprehensive encyclopedia -
        and I'm sure that many will be dissatisified with the results!

        Cheers!

        Alastair
      • Nenad Lockic
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10 12:30 PM
          Am I wrong or I not saw Vesna in your first message? Or criteria exclude her
          from the list?

          Regards,
          Nenad
        • pniedrich
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10 2:58 PM
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
            > Pat -
            I assume that this refers to the list of "Slavic spirits", which
            was
            > the nearest equivalent that I could find. While interesting, this
            > list draws on some websites which I would regard as being of very
            > dubious quality, and unfortunately makes no references to primary
            > source material at all :-(

            *(snip)

            > This isn't meant as criticism - but rather as an example of how
            poor
            > referencing, and possibly poor vetting of sources, makes
            everyone's
            > lives so much more difficult...
            > Cheers
            > Alastair

            Hello Alastair,

            No problem at all..that's why I invited someone who has a stronger
            grasp of Archeology or Anthropology onto the list. Of course, I am
            not the sole writer of the list, and I'd appreciate these previous
            commments on that list, to point this out..and to challenge that
            scholarship of those that are contributing. Thanks for the comments,
            however;-)

            Pat/Chicago
          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11 2:44 PM
              Nenad writes
              > Am I wrong or I not saw Vesna in your first message?

              You are correct - it was not there.

              The reason for this is very simple: no information! If you have some, I
              would of course be interested in hearing it - but with references/sources,
              please!

              Cheers!

              Alastair

              Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
              Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
              P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
              Tel.: +420.607.993.041, Fax.: +420.416.832.090