Re: [sig] Povoinik Pattern Anyone?

  • Lente
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7 5:05 PM
      Okay since the people who really know more about this subject might be at
      Pensic, check these sites out.

      http://slavic.freeservers.com/ this is the main page for the Slavic Interest
      Group site

      http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress-female.html okay after much
      searching this page might have a link to what your talking about, it has
      hats at least. Go down to the section of external links to find them.

      http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/Costume/Rus/Female/Rus_Female_main.htm A
      lovely photo of a woman modeling a female Rus' outfit. She is wearing a
      rubakha (shirt) with a blue plaid panova (also called a paneva). (this is a
      different link than is one the page above but I believe this is the picture
      its talking about)

      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html Rus' temple
      rings article (I don't know if this one is on the russia dress page but it
      should be.)

      http://www.caerthe.org/TheWardrobe/kokoshnik.html I don't think this is in
      the russian dress page but here it is.

      http://www.ic.omskreg.ru/~folklore/mk/golovn/index_.shtml article with
      drawing of various russian headdresses.

      I did a search on kokshnik and found these sites; some look like they are
      selling them but the pictures may give some more idea on how you want yours
      to look like.
      http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/clothing/kokoshnik.htm
      http://ruswinter.50megs.com/clothes1.html
      http://www.sunbirds.com/lacquer/readings/1132 russian fairytales and stuff

      got to go boy chick's crying something fierce...
      Kathws

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8 5:49 PM
        Thank You, some of these sites I had not found and they are great. It
        is still looking like no one really has firm ideas about patterns
        though. But some these pictures show do give me more to go on. Thanks
        so Much..
      • Ben McGarr
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9 7:02 PM
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Kinyon" <lynx@c...> wrote:
          > Thank You, some of these sites I had not found and they are great.
          It
          > is still looking like no one really has firm ideas about patterns
          > though. But some these pictures show do give me more to go on.
          Thanks
          > so Much..

          Dear Marilyn,
          I can't say I'm very into patterns for clothesmaking, but I was given
          an ENORMOUS encyclopaedia of Russian folk culture by my Girlfriend
          for my last birthday, so you prompted me into checking out what it
          had to say about povoiniki.

          THere's a big fat entry on their use [always to be worn under some
          other form of headress, except in the early twentieth century when a
          ttrend developed for wearing them separately] and social context and
          some drawings of different kinds from different provinces but no
          patterns I'm afraid. Still, if you're interested I can always scan
          the pictures for you. Can you read Russian?

          The book has millions of patterns for the more complex clothing of
          the Russkiy Krestyanin so if anyone wants a pic of any other costume
          I'd be happy to help. I wouldn't like to set a precedent in
          translating huge reams of text, but I could do that on the povoinik
          if you like.

          Benchik
        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10 9:48 AM
            X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

            I have seen two basic patterns for the povoinik. The simplest is a circle of
            fabric gathered onto a narrow fabric band that goes around the forehead to the
            back of the neck where it is tied. This works quite nicely with a mesh "knit"
            fabric substituted for the circle. (This mesh style is called the voloshnik).

            Another version I've seen requires 3 pieces of fabric. An oval piece to cover
            the top of the head, a narrow band attached to the edge of the oval piece to go
            horizontally around to the back of the head, plus a half-circle to hang down
            from the back of the narrow band and gathered at its edge to control the hair
            at the back of the neck.

            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html

            I'm sorry I don't have pattern sketches for you. Good luck.

            In service,
            Sofya la Rus

            ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
            ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
            ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
          • Lente
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10 10:09 AM
              I think this is the book I'm thinking of (if I remember the title sort of
              right); this show some black and white photos of some of the headresses, I
              like that fact that it shows several of the pearl drapes too, in fact one of
              them is not pearls but cut mother of pearl shell beads. check at you library
              for it. I just put a hold on my public library copy of this one and another
              of russian stuff so I will post a picture to the list files of the
              headresses and drapes I remember being in it.--kathws

              Embroidery of all Russia / by Mary Gostelow ;
              line ill. and designs drawn and executed by the author, maps by John E.
              Damsell.
              New York : Scribner, c1977. isbn 0684151847

              Subject: Re: [sig] Re: Povoinik Pattern Anyone?